Southey/Parson's Cross residents have something to celebrate

Have you noticed Norm and Norma (normandnorma.com) popping up around Southey?

These two characters have been developed by community members working with SOAR and the reason they are out and about is to celebrate some figures that were recorded earlier this year.

One of these figures is that 3 out of 5 people in Southey don't smoke - most people thought this was higher. If you want to see all of the facts you can view them in the Southey section of normandnorma.com.

Even better, if you are a resident of Southey you can enter the prize draw online to win one of seven prizes. This prize draw has no other agenda other than giving people a chance to win a prize in partnership with SOAR. Data will not be passed on to anyone else. This is a community project.

You can visit the Facebook here facebook.com/norman.conquest.180?ref=ts

Crikey so 40% of people in Southey smoke. That's a shocking statistic....wonder what the national percentage is...

Interesting website though.

One thing everyone in the community wanted was to revive some of the old galas and festivals that used to take place. If we'd have had the funding for this it would have been great but we hope the people who attended will get together to form a committee to make this happen.

There are still 2 days left for any of the 35000 residents in Southey to win one of the £300 worth of prizes by visiting

normandnorma.com/home-southey/

So there's no money for what the community actually want to do i.e stage galas and festivals, yet you can just give prizes away worth upto £300?

I've just had a quick look at the SOAR sheffield website, and apparently you're a charity that manages "The Learning Zone" at Chaucer, and "SOAR Works Enterprise Centre at Knutton Road" for which it appears that you've had funding from the European regional development fund. Would they be interested to realise that it appears that you're using their money to conduct pointless door-to-door surveys and give away prizes in an effort to make the area look better instead of actually finding proper initiatives to try and help focus the area to actually improve?

You've focused on Smoking but have you been publicising the NHS's Stoptober initiative through September (Stop smoking through October, if you stay cig free for a month you're more likely to stop smoking alltogether!) as I'm sure there'll be quite a few people who live in those areas that work for the NGH for instance! With regards to smoking, by your own values, 60% of the people in the area are smokers. By Cancer Research's statistics, the smoking rate fell nationally to approximately 21% of the male adult population in 2010 and that there is no major statistical difference between men and women. And those figures are quoted by a charity that is trying to make sure people quit smoking to have less of a chance of getting cancer! It makes an absoloute mockery of your figures as they are exceptionally high in comparison to the UK national average, or even the Yorkshire/Humber average at 24% of the adult male population.

It looks like you're basically a Quango under the guise of a charity. SCC appears to have offloaded Parson Cross Library to you alongside other key departments that would be important for that area (e.g. Sheffield Homes - that'll be interesting to see what happens if/when they go back to Sheffield City Council control!) And here's me thinking that central government was trying to save cash by closing down or merging Quango's.

It makes me bloody angry when BS like this is pushed forward when the money that has been pushed your way could have been better spent a lot better on actually improving the areas or the quality of life for people within them.

You seriously don't believe that 60% told you the truth. You interviewed 500 people on two estates that have the worst crime rates in Sheffield to find out if they smoke. What exactly is the point of the survey and what are you going to do with the information? No wonder my council tax bill is nearly £1000 a year:roll::roll::roll:

Why would it affect your Council Tax bill??

I thought SOAR were a charity funded community organisation, well that's I presumed from the Asda Local Charity fund system they have set up, spend over £30 and get a token to pop int the box of your choice..SOAR have been popular with the local charity donations.

Wherever there are social problems, you can guarantee there will some quangos (with very well paid people on the payroll) hovering around like vultures.

No wonder the powers that be don't want to deal with anti social behavior.

The job losses would be too awful to contemplate.

So 2 out of 5 smoke - that is 40%.

And some of the rest are lying.

Was it a simple questionnaire? Do you smoke - yes or no.

Is money being wasted on projects like this?

Across the nation only 21% of people smoke. So 40% is roughly twice the national average, unless some smoke because they have been set on fire.

Archived