The UK is a nation of 'plebs'.

Plebeian: Of lower social class, non landowner class, effectively a serf.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19673697

So how did this word jump into the modern world?

Ian Brookes, consultant editor at Collins Language, says that English public schools of the 18th and 19th Centuries deliberately modelled themselves on ancient Greece and Rome.

"In public school parlance, a pleb was a pupil who was not a member of the landed classes."

As these public schoolboys left school to run the British Empire, it seems they took the word with them to describe the lower orders.

In the UK today the majority of people own nothing, only the monarch 'owns' land. The majority of the housing stock is mortgaged, although a proportion of people do posses freehold tenure outright. With many forced to rent from the local authorities, housing associations and private landlords.

The majority of the UK are plebians. We are a nation of plebs.

Last year, a government agency released a newsletter highlighting the problem of what it described as People Lacking Everyday Basic Skills.

Interestingly the government recently referred to cretins as plebs!

I love these gaffs when you get to hear what politicians really think. The minister's comments say a great deal about the Tory party's attitude towards the people they 'rule.'

'Do we really want to give power to people who hold us in such contempt?

If you're talking about the Tories then no we don't. They didn't win the election outright. To me that makes their sense of privilege even worse.

Speak for yourself OP, I have 16 acre's of land to be a 'PLEB' on ;)

Do the DWP know about this?

I was assesed by the DWP (Atos) for my spinal injury and found to be 55% disabled and unfit for work due to the nature of my injury, yet I was placed on work related ESA ??? I am now told that my ESA will stop in October as I will have been claiming for 365 days and I can not claim JSA or any other means tested benefit as my wife works 35 hours and I am deemed to be fit for work. I receive full DLA mobility and medium rate care allowance yet I am expected to find a job ??? My GP has signed me unfit for work for 12 months, so what is going on here ???

Why is anybody surprised? The majority follow, a few lead - what's new?

Not everybody can be wealthy or own land, that's just life.

If you split up the entire wealth of England equally between everyone, within a generation it would be back to been distributed as it is now.....

Thats not "fair" or "right or wrong" - its just how life is

If you split up the entire wealth of England equally between everyone, within a generation it would be back to been distributed as it is now.....

Thats not "fair" or "right or wrong" - its just how life is

Lefties rather detest that aspect of reality - they like to convince themselves that we're all equal.

Archived