Should We Feel Sorry For The Farmers And The Pigs?

As Kerrangeroo said, the pigs were going to die anyway.

The farmers won't sell meat (in the long term) for less than it costs to produce it, so the prices will go up and the supply will probably go down.

Pork will become less readily available and the prices will go up.

The prices of beef, poultry, fish, rabbit etc will go up as people find they can''t buy cheap pork.

So will the price of corn, wheat, grains and legumes. - For the same reason that the price of bacon is going o go up. Pigs eat corn, wheat, grains and legumes and there is less food around for everybody.

A shortage of pork isn't going to cause a huge problem in the UK. - There will still be prok available but those who want to eat it will have to pay 'the going rate'.

(I do enjoy 'bacon butties' occasionally, but they're hard to come by. If I want bacon - bacon as you in the UK would know it - when I'm in the US, I have to buy ''Canadian Bacon". "Canadian Bacon is a euphemism for back bacon and it costs an arm and a hock. - I don't eat bacon butties in the US very often.)

When I'm in the UK, I buy a couple of kilos of bacon from a farmer near where I used to live and export them to Germany. (The Germans do bacon, but it's not as good as real [dry cured] bacon.

I could buy bacon which has been 'cured' by injecting it with salt water, but I object to paying meat prices for salt water. I pay very high prices for the bacon I eat, but it''s a luxury.

One of the neighbouring politicians (he's a Saupreuss and I live in Bavaria - but they are adjoining countries :)) suggested recently that the grain-growing nations in the world should stop growing grain to use as fuel.

He''s got a point! - E10 (10% Ethanol) is extremely unpopular in Germany (the price of E10 is lower than regular petrol, but the fuel mileage is crap and the performance reduction is massive!) - Your Beemer [of the 4-wheeled variety] will only do about 130mph if you run it on E10.

(He ought to count his blessings ... the governor of Florida has mandated that we will use E15. Not only is it garbage - huge reductions in power output and huge increases in fuel consumption, but it costs the same (or more) than regular fuel.

I think the German minister got it exactly right! - Those countries which produce surpluses of grain shouldn't convert the surpluses into fuel, they should trade them with the countries which have excess amounts of oil.

Those countries can provide the food they received for their oil to their own people and to their brethren elsewhere.

(Well, I won't hold my breath while I wait for them to do that, but it's a 'good idea'.)

After all, there's no point in sending them pork.

You might even see the day when a pound of Bacon costs more than a set of Lada brake pipes! ... Or 100 lb of bacon costs more than the 100lb ''emergency brake weight'' which Lada drivers are expected to chuck out of the door in the event that the brake pipes fail ['cos they went around too many corners!' :hihi:

I suppose a lot of people will move to chicken, and people will start rearing rabbits again like they do in dictatorships where meat is hard to come by.

It is quite worrying, but pork is really cheap in this country. The other week I paid just £1.50/kg, lower than production price! The supermarkets should increase prices and pay the farmers more. Often it is £3-5/kg. If it were £6 to £10 per kg, it wouldn't be that bad.

CAP payments could be reduced across the board and the savings used to fund pig farmers based upon production, rather than landowners based upon acreage.

Perhaps the government should reduce the tax upon alcohol, so that people having a few hard earned pints have a bit more money in their pockets to buy a bacon sarny come morning.

As Kerrangeroo said, the pigs were going to die anyway.

The farmers won't sell meat (in the long term) for less than it costs to produce it, so the prices will go up and the supply will probably go down.

Pork will become less readily available and the prices will go up.

The prices of beef, poultry, fish, rabbit etc will go up as people find they can''t buy cheap pork.

So will the price of corn, wheat, grains and legumes. - For the same reason that the price of bacon is going o go up. Pigs eat corn, wheat, grains and legumes and there is less food around for everybody.

A shortage of pork isn't going to cause a huge problem in the UK. - There will still be prok available but those who want to eat it will have to pay 'the going rate'.

(I do enjoy 'bacon butties' occasionally, but they're hard to come by. If I want bacon - bacon as you in the UK would know it - when I'm in the US, I have to buy ''Canadian Bacon". "Canadian Bacon is a euphemism for back bacon and it costs an arm and a hock. - I don't eat bacon butties in the US very often.)

When I'm in the UK, I buy a couple of kilos of bacon from a farmer near where I used to live and export them to Germany. (The Germans do bacon, but it's not as good as real [dry cured] bacon.

I could buy bacon which has been 'cured' by injecting it with salt water, but I object to paying meat prices for salt water. I pay very high prices for the bacon I eat, but it''s a luxury.

One of the neighbouring politicians (he's a Saupreuss and I live in Bavaria - but they are adjoining countries :)) suggested recently that the grain-growing nations in the world should stop growing grain to use as fuel.

He''s got a point! - E10 (10% Ethanol) is extremely unpopular in Germany (the price of E10 is lower than regular petrol, but the fuel mileage is crap and the performance reduction is massive!) - Your Beemer [of the 4-wheeled variety] will only do about 130mph if you run it on E10.

(He ought to count his blessings ... the governor of Florida has mandated that we will use E15. Not only is it garbage - huge reductions in power output and huge increases in fuel consumption, but it costs the same (or more) than regular fuel.

I think the German minister got it exactly right! - Those countries which produce surpluses of grain shouldn't convert the surpluses into fuel, they should trade them with the countries which have excess amounts of oil.

Those countries can provide the food they received for their oil to their own people and to their brethren elsewhere.

(Well, I won't hold my breath while I wait for them to do that, but it's a 'good idea'.)

After all, there's no point in sending them pork.

Top Post Rupert Bear. My bold - it's all a rip of then? Most farmers are banjo players so stuff'em.

The farmers have to break even as it is a business. But I do not have much sympathy for them. I too have had a bad year in my mainly outdoor building business this year. The rain has cost me a fortune in lost wages and like today for example, no paving slabs will be laid and I am stuck in the house catching up on accounts today, but no money earned there.

meanwhile my overheads need paying for with no income to pay for them. So I could do what the the farmers do...Blame the weather and put my labour costs up to make up the losses. problem with that is I would need all my competitors to do the same.

I think not! You don't exactly have to go to the Harvard business school to be a builder. There will always be desperate competition who will undercut to survive. They don't hang around for long though before they cease trading and move on only for some other 'not business minded' have a go replace them.

Archived