Richard Hawley gig at City Hall

smithy266

general anti hawley rant.

Im surprised he stirs such strong emotions. I've seen him play in bands since Tree bound Story - and though not a massive fan - im pleased someone local has got national recognition with a sound that is his own. Maybe you'd prefer him to still be playing to ten people at the Hallamshire?

Does sound like tall poppy syndrome...

It's not so much the music (although I do think he's fallen off with that latest album). It's more the fact that everytime he's not singing and he opens his gob I feel embarrassed to say I live in Sheffield. I think maybe he should learn to vary the spiel somewhat, I've chatted to him in that little pub a couple of times and he's all he ever says is "I've got a reyt hangover love".

Is it just me that finds him extremely dull and very annoying in his professional Sheffielder mode? And why is he on BBC all the time pontiificating and in the SheffTelegraph every week?

No, its not just you, also Henderson's (or should I say 'Hendo's') is rubbish, Marti Caine and Bobby Knutt was/is not funny and Sheffield is NOT widely recognised as 'The City of Sport'!

I agree with the above comments totally, I too hate professional dee dah's!

It's not so much the music (although I do think he's fallen off with that latest album). It's more the fact that everytime he's not singing and he opens his gob I feel embarrassed to say I live in Sheffield. I think maybe he should learn to vary the spiel somewhat, I've chatted to him in that little pub a couple of times and he's all he ever says is "I've got a reyt hangover love".[/quote)

........That's more Oxford Sheffield Dee Dah!.............Should be.......av gora reyt angoer luv!

Superb tonight. Much better than last Sunday, in my opinion. My personal highlight was Soldier On.

He still goes on a bit though:D

Is it just me that finds him extremely dull and very annoying in his professional Sheffielder mode? And why is he on BBC all the time pontiificating and in the SheffTelegraph every week?

The Longpigs were all right in a minor indie band way I suppose. But come on it's gone beyond a joke now. The backlash is long overdue.

I agree totally, I can't see what all the fuss is about, if you listen closely he often sing off key, his dad was alot better, Roni Robinson never shuts up about him, im proud of where my roots are as well, but there's just something about song lyrics that just don't gell, like I left my heart in Parkwood Springs etc

Archived