What happened to Sheffields bars/clubs??

Prestige1000

Recently Sheffield nightlife, bars have become a bit the same, boring, tacky Chesterfield appears to be doing better with wine bars, late night club/bars how can a town such as chesterfield have in my view the upper hand to a city! Sheffield used to be brill what happened!!!! Have people stopped trying or is Sheffield just for students?

Sheffield used to be full of nightclubs, decent fun bars, nice wine bars, nice pubs ok a bit rough round the edges but friendly!you know something for everyone, now it seems everywhere is quite student orientated or a scruffy! Does,t seem to be a place for over 30,s to go that's cool anymore? I don,t know what changed that's why I asked the question!

Recently Sheffield nightlife, bars have become a bit the same, boring, tacky Chesterfield appears to be doing better with wine bars, late night club/bars how can a town such as chesterfield have in my view the upper hand to a city! Sheffield used to be brill what happened!!!! Have people stopped trying or is Sheffield just for students?

Nothing tacky about Chesterfield. Fine, fine place.

I miss Casablanca's on Devonshire Street, it was such a lovely little bar and always had such a warm atmosphere. My friend made this film about it and it made me cry with nostalgia

The Green Room isn't a patch on it, and it's always practically empty whenever I walk past :-(

Most of what would be in the centre in any other city - more decent restaurants and more nice bars with less idiots in them - is on Ecclesall Road. Imagine if those places were all dotted all over the city centre, the people with more than 3 quid in their pockets would flood in every night.

As it is, the city centre serves the people that use it. Yes the students are a big part because when they are not here it is bereft of life and everywhere is empty. When somewhere decent is built or grows within the city centre (eg Devonshire Green area, Leopold Sq, Peace Gdns, Showroom, Sheffield Tap) then people use it.

Sheffield used to be full of nightclubs, decent fun bars, nice wine bars, nice pubs ok a bit rough round the edges but friendly!you know something for everyone, now it seems everywhere is quite student orientated or a scruffy! Does,t seem to be a place for over 30,s to go that's cool anymore? I don,t know what changed that's why I asked the question!

Old House, The Hop?

The city centre is awful. Really, really bad. It caters for students / west street crowd tacky places. Very little in the way of late night bars / cool places for 30's and up. Even my mate who is 28 and I'm 32 are completely sick of the centre and we consider ourselves young!

Get out of the centre and there are pockets of better bars / pubs. I like the Broadfield. Other than that I like York and Leeds. Recently visited Nottingham and they had some nice places by the canal/

Why can't Sheff have some nice places? and has anyone seen the moor lately?? The city is an embarassment!

Most of what would be in the centre in any other city - more decent restaurants and more nice bars with less idiots in them - is on Ecclesall Road. Imagine if those places were all dotted all over the city centre, the people with more than 3 quid in their pockets would flood in every night.

As it is, the city centre serves the people that use it. Yes the students are a big part because when they are not here it is bereft of life and everywhere is empty. When somewhere decent is built or grows within the city centre (eg Devonshire Green area, Leopold Sq, Peace Gdns, Showroom, Sheffield Tap) then people use it.

Yes, eccy road is a bit better. I go there a bit, even the wetherspoons for a cheap one. Lescar and porter brook / cottage are OK.

The places you quoted in city I can't agree entirely with. Devonshire green, the forum and old house are OK, but the forum stopped doing cheap after work drinks and is too loud in the evening to chill. Peace gardens there is nothing there, except Browns (haha was better). The showroom, equally is pretty poor. Sheffield Tap is OK if you drink beer and like cold station bars. I drink wine so its of no interest to me.

Archived