Sorry, we only help men

Well said Pete, the age of the victim has little to do with the case, it sounds like a veiled attempt to blame the victim.

PS - Can anyone here claim that they didn't go out with friends for a drink at the age of 17?

I didn't, none of us did. Reaching 18 and being allowed to drink legally was cause for celebration. Up to that point it wasn't even a consideration.

No it doesn't have any relevance to the girl being raped, nor does it detract from it but she is a child and why would you allow a child to go into town to celebrate, which we all know is drinking underage?

Try telling a 17 year old she's a 'child' in this day and age. So you'd effectively 'ground' her?

No it doesn't have any relevance to the girl being raped, nor does it detract from it but she is a child and why would you allow a child to go into town to celebrate, which we all know is drinking underage?

As far as I can see you've jumped to some conclusions (as if teenagers can't celebrate without drinking???) on a point which you then claim isn't relevant and regarding behaviour that is very far from uncommon if your assumption proves to be correct.

To clarify, I'm saying that most 17 year olds will have been out for a drink before, it's not unusual and it's not bad parenting, it's pretty much impossible to stop.

I'm saying that if she was drinking that isn't relevant to this thread.

And I'm saying that you're only assuming she was drinking.

As far as I can see you've jumped to some conclusions (as if teenagers can't celebrate without drinking???) on a point which you then claim isn't relevant and regarding behaviour that is very far from uncommon if your assumption proves to be correct.

To clarify, I'm saying that most 17 year olds will have been out for a drink before, it's not unusual and it's not bad parenting, it's pretty much impossible to stop.

I'm saying that if she was drinking that isn't relevant to this thread.

And I'm saying that you're only assuming she was drinking.

I wouldn't say jumped. But I do understand your point, however I dint say this was the major factor. My point is she was allowed to go "In [to] town" to celebrate late at night and she is a child.

I wouldn't say jumped. But I do understand your point, however I dint say this was the major factor. My point is she was allowed to go "In [to] town" to celebrate late at night and she is a child.

She isn't legally an adult, although close to it, but I doubt that you can reasonably call someone who is old enough to marry, have children and serve in the armed forces a child!

Child normally means pre pubescent, at 17 someone would generally be called a young adult.

It follows that as a young adult and not a child, it isn't unusual or unreasonable that she have some freedom. You still appear to be attempting to blame either the victim or her parents though... Personally I find it distasteful.

Maybe there should be a separate thread about what a normal level of freedom for a 17 year old is to remove the potential link.

Archived