Lager v Beer - or something else?

All ales are beers, but not all beers are ales. I think you might want to make peace with Cyclone before he gets all frothy on your beerkeg..... Please note that he never said that ales are not beers - he said ales are not the same as lagers and bitters.

he said lager and bitter are both beer and real ale is different, they are all beer.:confused:

he said lager and bitter are both beer and real ale is different, they are all beer.:confused:

Yes, lager (Ford) and bitters (Vauxhall) are both beers (makes of automobile). BUT he said that ales (Volkswagen) are not the same as lager and bitter, and they are not. Ale (Volkswagen) however is still a beer (make of automobile).

Yes..?

You misunderstood or misread.

I said that lager and bitter are both beer and that they are not the same as real ale, that doesn't mean that real ale is not beer, it means what it says, that lager and bitter are not the same as real ale and that they are both beer.

5/10 on English comprehension I'm afraid.

You misunderstood or misread.

I said that lager and bitter are both beer and that they are not the same as real ale, that doesn't mean that real ale is not beer, it means what it says, that lager and bitter are not the same as real ale and that they are both beer.

5/10 on English comprehension I'm afraid.

So the pint of bitter that I had in the 3 Tuns last night wasn't real ale. You live and learn. I'll never trust a place with 12 handpulls ever again.

Am I wrong? Does being on tap automatically make a drink ale and not lager or bitter?

Or is ale something distinct from both bitter and lager?

I don't mind if I'm wrong, but I didn't think being handed pulled meant something was an ale automatically.

For the last 23 years been residing and working in Kent but after a rather unfortunate turn of circumstances have returned back to my Sheffield roots.

One of the biggest surprises is that the southern Lager drink seems to be more popular than Bitter - or am I drinking in the wrong establishments? - and they seem to be diminishing too :o

On another topic where can one buy the best F n' C in Sheffield?

Definitely drinking in wrong places, Southerners drink lager because its a girlie drink (& lemonade top), get some beer down your neck lad

Am I wrong? Does being on tap automatically make a drink ale and not lager or bitter?

Or is ale something distinct from both bitter and lager?

I don't mind if I'm wrong, but I didn't think being handed pulled meant something was an ale automatically.

In answer to your question.. Yes. Well it was before you attempted to move your own goal posts by dropping the bit about real ale. Being on tap has nothing to do with any of this.

Archived