Do you appreciate digital art as much as traditional art?

Birds

More and more art is being done digitally these days, but I must admit to being prejudiced against it; not for the purposes of company logo's and signage etc, but in general recreational art.

The final result of a peice of digital art can be very impressive, but a big part of the appreciation of artwork for me is the process by which it is created, and this is why digital art has less respect from me than traditional, because a digital artists life is made much easier than a traditional artists life.

More and more art is being done digitally these days, but I must admit to being prejudiced against it; not for the purposes of company logo's and signage etc, but in general recreational art.

The final result of a peice of digital art can be very impressive, but a big part of the appreciation of artwork for me is the process by which it is created, and this is why digital art has less respect from me than traditional, because a digital artists life is made much easier than a traditional artists life.

The ability to create the finished project is no less impressive just because it's not done with a brush in my view and I can appreciate both. Some of my own took many many hours to complete.

Both traditional art and its digital counterpart are equally valid. What counts is creativity.

Instead of a canvas, I have a computer, drawing tablet and a pressure sensitive pen. The result is all that counts. Instead of humping 40 pound reels of film around, my movie is on a solid state memory stick or tiny little tape that weighs a few grams. Without story telling skills, it's still a pile of crap whatever medium is used.

I can get far much more out of a photo by processing it in software than I ever could by handling dodgy chemicals and hoping for that no one suddenly decides to come unnanounced into the darkroom.

Both traditional art and its digital counterpart are equally valid. What counts is creativity.

Instead of a canvas, I have a computer, drawing tablet and a pressure sensitive pen. The result is all that counts. Instead of humping 40 pound reels of film around, my movie is on a solid state memory stick or tiny little tape that weighs a few grams. Without story telling skills, it's still a pile of crap whatever medium is used.

I can get far much more out of a photo by processing it in software than I ever could by handling dodgy chemicals and hoping for that no one suddenly decides to come unnanounced into the darkroom.

Yes, I suppose digital equipment has totally revolutionised photography and film; in this instance, yeah, digital is best.

I was sorely tempted to get a tablet and pen a few years back but never did. Everything i've done has been produced with a mouse only, painstaking :hihi:

I don't appreciate any digital art really (except photography). I think things that are digitally made just never look as interesting. As a really basic example look at southpark before and after, and wallace and gromit vs toy story.

I think the fact that it is never going to be a one off also makes it less interesting. With an oil painting it can never be recreated!

Archived