Do you appreciate digital art as much as traditional art?

Birds

I spent half my life doing cartoon style pictures, first by sketching with pencil, then inking, then rubbing away the pencil and just leaving the "lineart" ink, then colouring it in using either coloured pencils or pens.

I can think of countless ways in which my life would have been made so much easier if I was working digitally, for instance something as fundamental as staying within the lines when colouring in, especially in tight spots... digitally you can zoom right in to the area you're working on and isolate the area to prevent going over the lines.

Something else that would have helped me greatly in past whith my pictures had I been a digital artist, is I could have first created a background, then seperately drawn a figure or whatever, then super-imposed the figure onto the background, rather than drawing the figure first then awkwardly doing the background behind/around it.

I still don't understand how you can agree that cooking is an art form but writing computer software isn't!
Where cooking is concerned, think of it as "prepping some beans-on-toast" versus "cooking ingredients and dressing a plate of food to Michelin star standard" ;)

The same analogy pervades e.g. "grabbing a paintbrush and some Wickes matt white to paint a stairwell" versus "grabbing a paintbrush and some oils to paint a landscape".

Both activities have the potential to go beyond utilitarian/functional expression, into artistic expression ('more than just what is required', i.e. food to eat in the cooking example, cover a surface with paint in the painting example).

Writing computer software is just that: wanting to do 'X' with a computer, devising an algorithm (or many) to process bits of data to achieve 'X', writing it out in object language, compiling it, then running it. There is no artistic expression as such, only ever a functional expression.

Where cooking is concerned, think of it as "prepping some beans-on-toast" versus "cooking ingredients and dressing a plate of food to Michelin star standard" ;)

The same analogy pervades e.g. "grabbing a paintbrush and some Wickes matt white to paint a stairwell" versus "grabbing a paintbrush and some oils to paint a landscape".

Both activities have the potential to go beyond utilitarian/functional expression, into artistic expression ('more than just what is required', i.e. food to eat in the cooking example, cover a surface with paint in the painting example).

Writing computer software is just that: wanting to do 'X' with a computer, devising an algorithm (or many) to process bits of data to achieve 'X', writing it out in object language, compiling it, then running it. There is no artistic expression as such, only ever a functional expression.

I think you should be comparing blender design with computer software design.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused now :confused:

Do you think that writing computer software is a form of 'art'?

That's pretty subjective really ... it depends on what you classify as 'Art' You could say that Stephen Hawking has turned theoretical physics to an art form, or Derren Brown (who's an excellent painter, by the way) is an artist in mind control. That's a different subject.

Wether or not you think that writing computer software (comparable in my mind, in this instance, to tying loads of bristles together to make a paintbrush) is an 'art', I certainly class what you do with the 'brush' afterwards as an 'art' in the conventional sense ... why shouldn't it be?

I love painting (I'm just finishing off an oil painting at the mo). I also love drawing and sculpture. Unfortunately, I'm not clever enough to be able to use my computer to create art ... if I was, it'd open up a completely new medium for me. To be honest, I'm very envious of people who can do this! :cry:

I almost dont know where to start, many a time I have got midway through a fairly lengthy picture before realising that I should have positioned it differently on the paper, whatever it is I'm drawing could do with being a little more to the left, or a bit lower etc; with digital art, that, and any other mistake, or a change of mind of colour etc etc, can be rectified quickly and easily.

The undo button is a favourite of mine:hihi:

You also have backup copies and raw data files

I think these are the reasons I am quite good with a computer. I am far too intimidated by dirtying a real blank piece of paper.

That's it?

That doesn't make digital art easier to make, just easier to rectify.

This response reveals to me that you have never been involved in writing computer software. You are repeating the layman's version of what you think happens!

A piece of code (or algorithm), although achieving a set goal, can be written in many ways, each characteristic to the individual programmer/designer. There is no correct way of arriving at that goal - only that the goal is achieved.

This is where I would suggest the 'art' exists.

I would never try to tell others the processes involved in say, painting a landscape, because I have never done it myself. :)

Edit: By the way, for future reference, software is written in source code and compiled into object code! :P

Archived