Do you appreciate digital art as much as traditional art?

Birds

That's it?

No there's countless other things too; I've given two more examples since the post of mine you're responding to.

That doesn't make digital art easier to make, just easier to rectify.

Rectifying mistakes can be frustrating and time consuming in traditional art, whereas the undu button is the digital artists freind.

As for art being easier to make digitally, see my previous.

That's it?

That doesn't make digital art easier to make, just easier to rectify.

It's pretty easy to rectify a conventional 'painting' too ... just paint over it when the paint's dried. X-rays of many 'old masters' prove that.

Unless of course it's watercolour ... in which case, screw it up and start again! Makes you wonder how many Turner's ended up in the slops bucket!:)

It's pretty easy to rectify a conventional 'painting' too ... just paint over it when the paint's dried. X-rays of many 'old masters' prove that.

Unless of course it's watercolour ... in which case, screw it up and start again! Makes you wonder how many Turner's ended up in the slops bucket!:)

Making a mistake after you've commited yourself with coloured pencil or ink is a real pain.

This response reveals to me that you have never been involved in writing computer software. You are repeating the layman's version of what you think happens!

A piece of code (or algorithm), although achieving a set goal, can be written in many ways, each characteristic to the individual programmer/designer. There is no correct way of arriving at that goal - only that the goal is achieved.

This is where I would suggest the 'art' exists.

I would never try to tell others the processes involved in say, painting a landscape, because I have never done it myself. :)

Edit: By the way, for future reference, software is written in source code and compiled into object code! :P

Much the same really in that there is no incorrect or correct way, only a way.

That's pretty subjective really ... it depends on what you classify as 'Art' ... Wether or not you think that writing computer software (comparable in my mind, in this instance, to tying loads of bristles together to make a paintbrush) is an 'art', I certainly class what you do with the 'brush' afterwards as an 'art' in the conventional sense ... why shouldn't it be?

Yep - I totally agree with this!

To an artist, using it to create a 'painting', computer software is a 'tool'.

To a software developer, the process of creating the computer software itself is a form of 'art'.

Glad that's sorted - I'm off! :D

Can it be rectified with ink?

Not really, thats why the inking stage was always the most tense for me.

Heres a picture I recently did for my young son. IMG00376-20120226-0735.jpg

And here is the various stages of the process http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/Earthly1/2012-02-24001.jpg

There are mistakes I made at the inking stage, or things I should have done differently, but once the ink was down it was too late.

If you are comparing cooking with digital art the computer software design would be like the blender design-maybe I missed your point!
I think you did ;)

This response reveals to me that you have never been involved in writing computer software. You are repeating the layman's version of what you think happens!
No. I'm explaining to lay readers in generic/lay terms.

A piece of code (or algorithm), although achieving a set goal, can be written in many ways, each characteristic to the individual programmer/designer. There is no correct way of arriving at that goal - only that the goal is achieved.
Entirely correct, but irrelevant: whichever way (language/algorithm steps/etc.) you pick, it is still not "art" (my point).

This is where I would suggest the 'art' exists.
I would suggest that this is merely optimisation (in a technical context, as an engineered best-fit approach), nothing to do with 'art' (else please explain what exactly would you/the coder be 'expressing', within an artistic meaning?)

I would never try to tell others the processes involved in say, painting a landscape, because I have never done it myself. :)
You couldn't "properly" without going into a treaty (noone could, aside from authorities on the subject of course), but you could in at least generic (lay ;)) terms (e.g. "grab a canvas, a paintbrush, some paint, look at scene, replicate with own style"), to illustrate a point. Just a thought ;)

Edit: By the way, for future reference, software is written in source code and compiled into object code! :P
I'm sure that's not been wasted on readers of this thread :D:P

Not really, thats why the inking stage was always the most tense for me.

Heres a picture I recently did for my young son. IMG00376-20120226-0735.jpg

And here is the various stages of the process http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/Earthly1/2012-02-24001.jpg

I've never used ink only pencil (no colours). I did consider it but to be honest i'm clueless as to what's involved so i talked myself out of it :hihi:

Archived