Do you appreciate digital art as much as traditional art?

Birds

I imagine (hope) that most people like a picture (or any other piece of art) because of what it is, not who it's by. :)

Me too - but is that how the 'art' world really works? :suspect:

It doesn't appear that way to me! How else do you explain why some 'artists' make fortunes, but most struggle? Most people would seem to prefer to buy work by a known name rather than an unknown (assuming they could afford to). There appears to be a degree of hype (snobbery?) involved - something that I don't understand, not being involved in the art 'scene'.

This is just my opinion, and is the first time I've really thought about it to any great extent, so I guess there's every chance that I'm missing something somewhere. :huh:

Just to add to my post#73 ...

I was speaking to a gallery owner (Sheffield) who told me that one of his customers buys a picture because of the price ... the more expensive it is, the better. Apparently, he believes it'll make him appear more cultured! He's a well known Sheffield footballer. :hihi:

(sorry to veer off at a bit of a tangent there)

Just to add to my post#73 ...

I was speaking to a gallery owner (Sheffield) who told me that one of his customers buys a picture because of the price ... the more expensive it is, the better. Apparently, he believes it'll make him appear more cultured! He's a well known Sheffield footballer. :hihi:

(sorry to veer off at a bit of a tangent there)

Looks like my suspicions were correct then ... :hihi:

Me too - but is that how the 'art' world really works? :suspect:

It doesn't appear that way to me! How else do you explain why some 'artists' make fortunes, but most struggle? Most people would seem to prefer to buy work by a known name rather than an unknown (assuming they could afford to). There appears to be a degree of hype (snobbery?) involved - something that I don't understand, not being involved in the art 'scene'.

This is just my opinion, and is the first time I've really thought about it to any great extent, so I guess there's every chance that I'm missing something somewhere. :huh:

Yeah, you need to get a 'name' to make any money. Sad, but true. Most well known artists have agents to promote them ... the 'art' bit's secondary in many cases.

Bit like Jedward ... crap music + good agent = very rich. :)

I don't understand the point you are or were making then:huh:

I definitely know how difficult it is to make the raytraced images and they look stunning for what they are but I don't really like them them. I am just wowed by them.

I wasn't making a point, I made a comparison and then asked you a question about it.

I understand what you're saying; with the exception perhaps of things like Toy Story and Shrek, on the whole, digitally created art lacks character.

The problem is that you both are making sweeping generalisations about digital art. "Digital art is easier" & "digitally created art lacks character" can apply to some digital art but not all. The same can also be said of some paintings and drawings.

I would say that this digital art has more character than this painting

Point taken.

Is that really an oil painting??

Yes. A rather clinical one, without character, in my opinion. Impressive demonstration of skill though.

I think it's worth mentioning the online comic Romantically Apocalyptic here, a favourite of mine. Althought it doesn't use digital art in the ways I have been talking about (fully 3D rendered sculptures and environments) it makes brilliant use of what llamatron and Bird may call "lazy painting".

Using real costumed actors/models in a green-screen studio, combined with real landscape photography and digital paintings, all blended together in Photoshop, the end result works great for a serialised and ongoing comic.

The story is superbly silly but does have continuity amidst the daftness. Every so often something REALLY random will happen in a frame, if you are familiar with online/viral memes you may recognise these anomalies as homages to famous(ish) memes.

(To anyone who decides to read the whole series, after several episodes, the characters start showing their journal entries in the comments section below, which expands greatly on the story)

I don't agree. Which would you prefer hung on your wall ... this oil painting, or this picture made by David Hockney on his iPad? :)

Honestly I prefer the oil painting-that is stunning! Is it really an oil painting:o

The other picture is totally rubbish:hihi: I am sure there are examples that I would like although I would like them more if they used real paint!

Archived