Do you appreciate digital art as much as traditional art?

Birds

I think it's worth mentioning the online comic Romantically Apocalyptic here, a favourite of mine. Althought it doesn't use digital art in the ways I have been talking about (fully 3D rendered sculptures and environments) it makes brilliant use of what llamatron and Bird may call "lazy painting".

Using real costumed actors/models in a green-screen studio, combined with real landscape photography and digital paintings, all blended together in Photoshop, the end result works great for a serialised and ongoing comic.

The story is superbly silly but does have continuity amidst the daftness. Every so often something REALLY random will happen in a frame, if you are familiar with online/viral memes you may recognise these anomalies as homages to famous(ish) memes.

(To anyone who decides to read the whole series, after several episodes, the characters start showing their journal entries in the comments section below, which expands greatly on the story)

I don't know why you are so offended, we have an opinion on art. Doesn't everyone? I have never seen good digital art I appreciate as much as good traditional art for the reasons I have stated-I just don't like it. I don't think its easy, but it is easier to correct. I am not being naive about digital art as I showed you before.

I wasn't making a point, I made a comparison and then asked you a question about it.

The problem is that you both are making sweeping generalisations about digital art. "Digital art is easier" & "digitally created art lacks character" can apply to some digital art but not all. The same can also be said of some paintings and drawings.

I would say that this digital art has more character than this painting

Yes. A rather clinical one, without character, in my opinion. Impressive demonstration of skill though.

I prefer the painting-we obviously just have different taste. I actually don't like the subject matter in the digital one. The fantasy stuff just irks me! The painting is funny! I wouldn't have either on my wall!

I don't know why you are so offended, we have an opinion on art. Doesn't everyone? I have never seen good digital art I appreciate as much as good traditional art for the reasons I have stated-I just don't like it. I don't think its easy, but it is easier to correct. I am not being naive about digital art as I showed you before.

I don't know why you think I'm offended :huh:

I only asked a question, which you haven't answered.

I prefer the painting-we obviously just have different taste. I actually don't like the subject matter in the digital one. The fantasy stuff just irks me! The painting is funny! I wouldn't have either on my wall!

I don't prefer either, I think that the digital painting has more "character" than the traditional one that's all, it was in response to Bird's comment that digital art "has no character". Of course, it all boild down to what your definition of "character" is.

I don't know why you think I'm offended :huh:

I only asked a question, which you haven't answered.

eh? What question?

I see now, I did answer it when I said that I never said it was easier. Clearly it depends on the image. That has no bearing on my appreciation of it though. I would find digital art much easier than traditional art which is probably part of why I appreciate traditional art more.

I actually agree with a previous poster, I see more "art" in designing the ray tracer than using it to make an image. I would be more likely to put the code on my wall.

The word "image" is immediately clinical and devoid of feeling to me. I associate it with code, maths, schematics..... The word "painting" is emotional though.

eh? What question?

I see now, I did answer it when I said that I never said it was easier. Clearly it depends on the image. That has no bearing on my appreciation of it though. I would find digital art much easier than traditional art which is probably part of why I appreciate traditional art more.

Oh sorry, I must have misread this earlier...

well digital is easier! and you have more control over it but traditional photographs are still more exciting to me.

EDIT: My mistake, I have read back and realise that you were talking about photography equipment, not art techniques.

I really don't care how a piece of art I like is created. If I like it, I like it, that's what's important for me.

I don't, however the means of creating the digital art I can think of (with the exception of photography) results in art that I don't tend to appreciate.

It might actually be that the kind of person that choses to do digital art is less likely to create art that I would enjoy.

Archived