Strange fishy smell

can anyone help me.for the last month or so,there's been a funny fishy smell coming from the landing,shower and me and my girlfriends bedroom.i've looked it up on the internet and some comments have been saying it can be something to do with the electrics overheating.has anybody had this problem,if so,could you let me know as i would like to be sure before i call an electrician out, as it could end up costing us a fortune.cheers

can anyone help me.for the last month or so,there's been a funny fishy smell coming from the landing,shower and me and my girlfriends bedroom.i've looked it up on the internet and some comments have been saying it can be something to do with the electrics overheating.has anybody had this problem,if so,could you let me know as i would like to be sure before i call an electrician out, as it could end up costing us a fortune.cheers

I would hazard a guess that the source is the bedroom,rather than the landing.It is probably due to a mixture of damp conditions.and an electrical.I hope you dont mind my being personal but do you sleep with the window open?I would have a fortnight with a well-ventilated room,regular laundry,and open any windows in the shower area.An electrician will rightly charge a good deal for a fault -finding test which may shock you.

my girlfriend always has the bedroom window open and we always keep the bathroom window open when having a bath or a shower.the smell always seems to appear at night

Which is when the lights are on presumably. I had a similar problem once and traced it back to the light fitting, which was very hot.

We had the same problem last autumn - a strong fishy smell every time we turned our electric fire on in our sitting room. It turned out to be a problem with the electric socket the fire was plugged in to - the wires inside were becoming very hot and melting !

I'd advise you to get a professional to check your electrics as a matter of urgency. Better to pay out for repairs now than worse later on.

Regards.

Hi

If you look round the bottom of the lamp holder it will be slightly burnt this is causing the smell

So will need changing also news to be a smaller lamp I would think a 100 watt lamp may have been in it

If you need this doing please give me a call

Many thanks

Matt

Archived