Strange fishy smell

I had this for months last year and was told it could be an electric fault.

Luckly i got an electrician in and he found my shower switch was the problem. This is in the airing cupboard and had nearly burnt though the wires where it was impossible for us to see.

He said the fish smell is a kind of safety thing to alert us.

We had this issue when we lived in a rented flat - strange smoked fish smell. We found it was coming from the consumer unit. A wired fuse had blown a couple of times leaving carbon traces on the fuse holder. The fuse blew again but the carbon was still allowing a current causing the holder to overheat. It finally exploded. I'm just pleased that I never tried to remove the fuse whilst there was power going through it.

I would hazard a guess that the source is the bedroom,rather than the landing.It is probably due to a mixture of damp conditions.and an electrical.I hope you dont mind my being personal but do you sleep with the window open?I would have a fortnight with a well-ventilated room,regular laundry,and open any windows in the shower area.An electrician will rightly charge a good deal for a fault -finding test which may shock you.

Your correct............an electrical fault may well shock you. :)

Archived