Carbrook 1951/1970

Terrortone

I was born and bred in this sublime area and loved most every bit of it Some things I remember which spring to mind:-

Nelsons papershop, Westmorelands off licence. Flathers, Lants, Little Wonder, Jackson's chippies.

Carbrook County infants and junior schools,, Miss Carr, very strict looking and a little scary, Ms's Denbigh, Featherstone, Miss Middleton, quite a large lady, Miss Renshaw, strange nose, Man Wild and his two friends Gerald and Leonard Bone. Castles and Alleys.

Bomb buildings which substituted for adventure playgrounds, Pheasant with it's old building and underground pipes.

Haircuts at Bob Hewitts, street games, football on Carbrook rec with the iron goal posts stuck in the ground.

Yawner and Benelli the tramp who used to walk up and down the Cliffe at about 100mph. Wagon train with the parents and 300 kids following behind.

Earps, Les Foxs', Whymans.

Weir Head, canalstrasse.

Hundreds of other great things too numerous to mention. Great fights, and if you won you didn't worry about someone sneaking up behind you to get revenge. if you lost, too bad.

hi terrortone

just catching up with thread lived on carltonville rd 1939/64 remember allteachers mentioned attended both carbrookcounty inf/jnrs then coleridge rd sec modernplayed fottball on carbrook rec for school team latter played on pheasant on sundays i thought only myself had a great love off the old carbrook/attercliffe area for the upbringing we had and the values we weretaught by our parents which still make me smile today regards aj

I have to say that I've never met anyone who wasn't proud of their Carbrook connections. A real place to live among real people.

Hard for people to believe that I slept totally sound with the steam hammers going all night across the road and the trams hurtling down the 'cliffe.

hi terrortone

very proud of my carbrook connections and the friends i grew up with if only we could have some off those values to day my brother and i slept in attic and could here brown baileys heavy hammer other side of the rec mother having to fetch in washing mondays when they slaged out furnaces we thought all birds were black and had a cough sparrows i mean regards aj

i agree with im proud to come from carbrook i was rought up on bright street and yes the hammers were apart of life in fact hen they stopped i could nt sleep no one had to lock there door and if kids were worried could run in anyone house for help it was a like every one was family and when we were kids everyone was addressed as aunty so so i think thats what missing these days j xx

hi cleegirl

spent happy days around bright st /bee st my best mate all though school was gordon hancock also remember wilsons, fiddlers,pearces wommock,big bonfires in yard toffee apples as you say great respect was paid to grown ups and were called by mr or mrs or aunty regards aj

Wierd about the noise from the factories. When I moved to a leafier suburb I couldn't sleep 'cos it was too quiet.

I tell people about my time down Carbrook and they can't understand how I managed without colour TV, mobile phones and the Internet.

Much more fun rummaging around Les Foxes Homely Store and Earp's penny tray.

Still, my parents always told me how good I had it.

hi cleegirl

spent happy days around bright st /bee st my best mate all though school was gordon hancock also remember wilsons, fiddlers,pearces wommock,big bonfires in yard toffee apples as you say great respect was paid to grown ups and were called by mr or mrs or aunty regards aj[/quote hi i remember all those names so must have been around at the same time jackie pearce and doreen womack my best mates we hav loads of fun in those days didnt have atv only an old radio but then we was always out as much as we could i remember old albert shop on webster street now a days he would be closed down by health and safety it was obstacle course to by apenny sweet but he was atypical shop keeper of the times his eyes were everywhere even though shop had no organisation at all fun days xxx