Memories of Pitsmoor

Falls

hi everyone,i have to own up to being the person that has converted the whitehouse chipshop into a one bedroom flat.it has to be the worse project i have ever done the place smelt vile,found some old cloth wallpaper on the walls and that was about it.dates back to 1600 i belive.it was also supposed to be haunted but i never felt anything funny,unless it was the person that broke in one night and stole all my tools

While everybody has their memories in high gear, and before people who grew up in other parts of Sheffield get sick of the name "Pitsmoor", lets try and take one more trip down memory lane. Do you remember:

When Pye Bank School was an ambulance depot during the war ? They used to park the ambulances under the sheds in the girls playground.

Gas Mask and Air Raid Shelter practice at Pye Bank? I wonder how long they kept doing it ,even after the war had ended?

The static water tank they built next to the school? Remember some kids used to try and swim in it in summer and skate on it in winter - with near fatal results. Incidentally, I remember the pipe from the tank going down Grey Street but I've no idea how the water got from there into town. Did it go down Chatham Street and along Corporation Street or along Nursery Street and over Lady's Bridge?

There was a lot of good memories about the "White House" chippy on Andover Street but do you remember the bakery on the other side of the street. nearer to Nottingham Sreet? Do you remember the penny sticky buns?

Lastly, something a bit more macabre. Does anybody remember the circular shelter in middle of the main avenue in Burngreave Cemetery? It had glass on all sides and people of my mothers generation (b 1907) used to call it "The Band Stand". It did look like a band stand but I'm sure a band never played there. It was still there in 1961, when we buried my Grand Mother, but I think it was demolished when they removed

most of the head stones. The site became a circular flower bed

OK, you can start remembering!

Do you remember the old Police Station that use to be on Burngreave Road in the 1940's they then turned it in to 2 flats (police accommodation) in the Mid 50's it has since been turned into bedsits and into some community centre (I think for somalinans)

I can also remember St Catherines church just up the road from there and Dr Leddy use to live next door to us.

Cant say I do unfortunatley, we a bit further along and down the hill from you.

Do you remember the Old Washouse near Earsham Street also the Barbers Shop with a red and white pole outside, the chlorine filled Sutherland Road Baths with changing rooms at the side of the pool and small hot baths in each corner.

There's some old pictures of Clun Street on http://www.picturesheffield.com

Regards

Darren

Hi Darren the water used to get a bit thick in those corner baths didnt it

Hola Neil, So you did the conversion on the old white chipshop. Before you get inundated with threats of damnation, the building being very close to many chip lovers hearts, could you tell all us history freaks what the walls were constructed of, especially me. And did you know that there was a similar one story building on what was Woodside Lane, with no windows on the 'Lane' side. And another at the bottom of Fox Street, plus another on Grey Street. It's a great pity Sheffield Council didn't do a survey on them.

Do you remember the old Police Station that use to be on Burngreave Road in the 1940's they then turned it in to 2 flats (police accommodation) in the Mid 50's it has since been turned into bedsits and into some community centre (I think for somalinans)

I can also remember St Catherines church just up the road from there and Dr Leddy use to live next door to us.

Hi Wattsy,

I remember the large house on Burngreave Raod - just up from the Vestry Hall - being used as a police station. Even when the police had moved out, you could still pick out the building because it had a semi circular driveway ie.two entrances to the street. I believe, the only house on that section of road that had that.

St. Catherine's Church, further up the road, was always spic-and span in my childhood but the last time that I saw it, it looked like it needed some TLC (Tender Loving Care). I hope that it got it.

Do you remember St. Catherine's School. On the triangular site formed by Andover Street, Bramber Street and Montfort Street? It was in bad shape, and needed replacing, when I was kid but it took an awfully long time to do it.

Never knew much about the Doctor's who practiced in Pitsmoor. Our family doctor(s) had their surgery in the Park district.