Memories of Pitsmoor

Falls

• 2 months later...

Pleased to find this site. I lived on Nottingham Street (back gate on Fox St) from 1946 to 1972 then moved to Leeds.

Very sorry to hear about the conversion of the Whitehouse from a chippy to a private house.When I was a kid, I always wanted to be tall enough to see over the counter and for some reason I always got a buzz from sitting in the window recess until the queue moved round. I last saw the chippy about 4 years ago,took some photos and bought some chips (now a vegan so no fish-cake for me).

Opposite the Whitehouse, there used to be a corner shop Inesons where you could collect your weekly bread order. That was on the corner of Andover Street and Rock Lane (which went down to Montfort Road). Below Inesons on the corner with Rock Street was Hancocks where you could buy dried peas for your pea-shooter, or sweets from a 'penny tray'. Mr Hancock could have been the model for Arkwright in 'Open all Hours'. He seemed to sell everything and he always opened on Christmas Day, ready to sell batteries to kids whose parents had forgotten to buy them for toys.

• 2 months later...

living between tea gardens and normanton was us (goddards) ,thompsons, olivers, maws, o,briens, farley's, hetches, watsons, and a west indian bloke called everton who used to make fantastic kites. anybody remember any of these. there was others but cant remember them at moment.

While everybody has their memories in high gear, and before people who grew up in other parts of Sheffield get sick of the name "Pitsmoor", lets try and take one more trip down memory lane. Do you remember:

Please, someone, tell me I'm not dreaming that there used to be a pub in Pitsmoor round about 1959/1960 (can remember 'Cathy's Clown' by the Everly Brothers being played on the jukebox and I was 9/10 at the time)) and it was called the 'Who Can Tell'. I seem to remember that it was on a corner (mind you, most pubs are/were on corners!). I'd be ever so grateful if someone can put me out of my misery!:(