Memories of Pitsmoor

Falls

Someone directed me to PictureSheffield and there's a pic of it on there. It was on Botham Street. Wonder what the race was about with the sacks of coal?

I think the race was on around the time they had the grimesthorpe walk which Albert Parr always WON

Wonder what the race was about with the sacks of coal?

You will find out soon enough, I asked on the Grimesthorpe site, that lot know just about everything to do with Grimesthorpe.

Talking about Burgreave, I'm suprised nobody mentioned Miss Yates. Now there was a larger-than-life individual, in more ways that one.

One lunch time, I was walking past Mr.Scowcroft's office when he came out, saw me and said " I have a job for you". The postman had delivered a letter intended for Miss Yates to the boys department by mistake. I was to deliver it to Miss Yates immediately.

Now anyone who remembers how those two schools were run in those days will know that going into the Girls department was strictly "Verboten". Something like going from West to East Berlin during the cold war or trying to drive from downtown Baghdad out to the airport these days.

All kinds of things could happen to a boy that strayed in to the girls dept.. I coundn't wait.

Miss Yates didn't seem to have a large corner office like Scowcroft's but was using a room down the hall that was little bigger than a broom cupboard. When I got there, the door was slightly open and I could hear her yelling at some poor snivelling member of her staff. When the shouting had subsided, I knocked on the door and summoning up my best manners, I presented the letter to her. She asked my name and after a slight pause to indicate that the "Audience" was over, I left.

Apparently, I had left a favourable impressions and there after , I was used as a sort of courier between the two dept. heads. I think that everyone in the building was scared of her, even the staff in the boys dept.

I know that she always refered to her girl's as "My Young Ladies" and she certainly devoted a lot of energy and her life to turning out students that were, for the most part, a credit to her effort and to themselves.

MISS YATES yes I remember her when she caught us watching the girls doing P.T. in the hall.She made us join them at the front of the class & we were the laughing stock of the school for ages.Big lesson learned,BEWARE :blush: :blush:

Thanks for that Greybeard. I had a look at the photograph and the area looks as much as I remember it. The building with the hipped roof, immediately behind the Toll House was a pub in my day with a garage in between. The school is easily seen, and the Bay Horse. I seem to remember another pub across the road somewhere, opposite the school, but the name of it escapes me. The low stone wall on the right of the photo fronted long gardens, at the top of these, out of shot, were some terraced houses.

Was the pub the Pitsmoor hotel? Can you remember Browns shop where they sold delicious ice cream opposite that pub?around 1945 to 1952.:)Also I think there was apub called The Gate.

I remember the catholic church on Burngreave Road

Dr Leddy

and the Old police station that was converted into two flats which we lived in whch went on to be bedsits and some sort of community centre now. all on Burngreave road.

Our doctor was Dr. O`Leary at the bottom of Andover St. A great man.

Oh my mum could tell you a thing or two about Miss Yates! When ever my lad is going on about school and the teachers, he always get reminded how lucky he is that he doesn't have a teacher like the famous Miss yates!

One story she has, is when she was asked to 'deliver' a vase of flowers from one teacher to Miss Yates' office and she was shaking so much that when she knocked on Miss Yates' office door and she shouted for her to enter, she opened the door with one hand and some how managed to drop the vase all over the floor, but not before the water had splashed all over Miss Yates!

My mum says she can still hear her voice bellowing ' YOU CLUMSY YOUNG LADY!!' and she says she felt physically sick with fear!!

What a lovely reputation to leave behind!

While everybody has their memories in high gear, and before people who grew up in other parts of Sheffield get sick of the name "Pitsmoor", lets try and take one more trip down memory lane. Do you remember:

When Pye Bank School was an ambulance depot during the war ? They used to park the ambulances under the sheds in the girls playground.

Gas Mask and Air Raid Shelter practice at Pye Bank? I wonder how long they kept doing it ,even after the war had ended?

The static water tank they built next to the school? Remember some kids used to try and swim in it in summer and skate on it in winter - with near fatal results. Incidentally, I remember the pipe from the tank going down Grey Street but I've no idea how the water got from there into town. Did it go down Chatham Street and along Corporation Street or along Nursery Street and over Lady's Bridge?

There was a lot of good memories about the "White House" chippy on Andover Street but do you remember the bakery on the other side of the street. nearer to Nottingham Sreet? Do you remember the penny sticky buns?

Lastly, something a bit more macabre. Does anybody remember the circular shelter in middle of the main avenue in Burngreave Cemetery? It had glass on all sides and people of my mothers generation (b 1907) used to call it "The Band Stand". It did look like a band stand but I'm sure a band never played there. It was still there in 1961, when we buried my Grand Mother, but I think it was demolished when they removed

most of the head stones. The site became a circular flower bed

OK, you can start remembering!

One day we went on a nature ramble in Burngreave cemetery from Burngreave school.Thought it was great because we were out of school. Can you remember going to Crowder House to play at football.

I presume, gentlemen, that after leaving Pyebank the majority us went on to Burngreave? During my incarceration at that most hallowed of institutions the teachers were Mr Scowcroft, Headmaster, Mssrs Snell, Gosney, Brittain, King, Murray, Fearneough (Metalwork), Needham (Woodwork), and a couple of others who's names escape me. Mr Brittain was Welsh and introduced into the school Rugby, for which I am eternally grateful being useless at Soccer.

By the sound of it TEXAS you must have been there the time that i was 1947-1952.:hihi: