Memories of Pitsmoor

Falls

I worked with Lew Morris he is Georges brother sadly George died a few years ago. I worked with Lew at Mandall Engineering on Petre St he was a welder I was a plater.

The Morris family was also related to the Morris family who lived at the top of Jamacia St in the 60s to the 70s Clive, Don and Paul who sings with the duo Star-Star

Hey 8 ball, thats the same George but he deffo ain't dead, I had a long talk on the phone with him last week. If I wasn't off work after bustin me leg I'd see him everyday. He was tellin me he'd just bought a Jag.

His Dad died a few years ago RIP

But George sure ain't no ghost.

Did you know the Morris family, they lived across from that park. I work with George he used to be a bouncer at the Limit, great bloke.

My younger sister Sharon would have been at Owler Lane same time as you, we both started at Pye Bank and lived on Nottingham St. and Sutherland baths were great, spent a lot of my childhood there aswell.

Hi Sean ,

Didn't know a lot of folk right at the bottom of Abbeyfield , apart from the the vicar who had the house next to the park... (Booth , I think his name was)... and of course there was Frank White who lived opposite . We lived further up just around the corner from Scott Rd ...saw the house in passing the other day and I couldn't believe the state it was in ...I swear there was a tree growing out of the downstairs front window!!! We lived next door to a family called Bownes for years and a really nice Jamaican Family on the other side who were the best neighbours ever. There were a couple of Italian families with kids our ages and one of our best mates was a young Irish Lad who lived on Scott Rd . We'd play for hours up on Saint James' hill .

I don't recall anyone called Sharon in any of my classes at school , sorry .

The only thing I remember opposite to Tupholmes was the Pitsmoor club.

You're right Kidorry, Pitsmoor Club was/is opposite Tupholmes. I've had another look on Streetview and the dancing class would've been in a large house now a block of flats, B******* Court or something, opposite a car park.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tranquility. I went through my school years from 1949 to leaving January 1960 (All Saints' infants and Juniour then Burngreave)with a friend who lived on Clun Road down the passage with the blue and white tiles. His name is Malcolm Simpson. Do you know the family or Malcolm's whereabouts ?

Hi Spacecat, Wasn't the 'Mojo' club started by Stringfellow? A friend of mine, and a neighbour of yours, used to complain regularly about the club. She was a retired school mistress from Abbeydale Girls School and lived at the only stone-built house near the bottom end of Abbeyfield Rd. Her name was Miss C.E.Tyler a spinster who lived with her spinster sister.Very erudite pair. Members of CPRE in Col.Hawthorn's day. Regulars at the Friday Halle concerts, cricket enthusiasts.Lovely house inside, almost unchanged from the Edwardian days. Their father had run a small business opposite Wigfall's workshops on that steep hill back of the Wicker(forget the name.) Both now deceased.

• 4 months later...
Not seen Andrew Moffatt since my Verdon Street Post Office days but have seen his brother Graham a few times down at Bridge Farm Caravan site in Sibsey where he and his wife Jane have a caravan and I have rented one.

Its a small world - I know his wife Jane as we used to play with her as kids when we down there holidaying!

Last time I saw Jane Naretti she was working at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in the canteen.

Does anyone remember Kevin Jowe? He was a bit older than me and used to get off the bus on Nottingham Street but I've never seen him or heard anything of him since my school days. He was a really nice lad.

For me, living in Pitsmoor - the 'Toseland family' of Rock Street were the most special people. David and Julie were lovely and Doreen (their Mum) was one of my Mum's best friends and my Mum absolutely loved Doreen to bits. (She is no longer with us to say so, so I am saying so on her behalf because I know it to be true).

Graham Moffatt is my father. And my uncle andy drinks in the noose and gibbet nr the arena. The caravan at sibsey is still the focal point of the year for me Dad

Graham Moffatt is my father. And my uncle andy drinks in the noose and gibbet nr the arena. The caravan at sibsey is still the focal point of the year for me Dad

Slightly off topic but which ward you on? Ward 54 was my first ward when I trained a stupid amount of years ago.