Angry atheists rant thread.

645, I've still not had the answer to this-

So, if an atheist can't be militant, because it's actually the person that is militant: how do you get round the same thing being applied to, for example, a stamp collector? (just cos you seem to like stamp collectors in examples :))

Supposing you had a stamp collector who was being sufficiently aggressive to be considered 'militant'. Could it not be argued that, even if brandishing a AK-47, he was not a 'militant stamp collector' but just a militant individual who happens to be a stamp collector?

I know you posted a link to something else you'd said, but I did explain in my post (no.185) why it didn't clear things up.

Any chance you could give the straightforward answer that, if what you're saying is rationally consistent, will be consise and easy to provide?

I know you posted a link to something else you'd said, but I did explain in my post (no.185) why it didn't clear things up.

Has it really taken you this long to come up with such a half hearted response or is it that you're posting now because you assume a lot of people won't be on here reading this, with it being Saturday night an' all?;)

Just because you didn't understand/chose not to understand (delete whichever doesn't apply) doesn't mean I haven't made myself clear.:roll:

Any chance you could give the straightforward answer that, if what you're saying is rationally consistent, will be consise and easy to provide?

So let's be concise. I tend to find it helps people understand more if you use their own words/phrases, adjusted somewhat, to explain it to them.:)

So, if an atheist can't be militant because there are no tenets or doctrine to follow and because it's actually the person believing and following their tenets or doctrine that is militant: I now see how you get round the same thing being applied to, for example, a stamp collector.

Supposing you had a stamp collector who was being sufficiently aggressive to be considered 'militant'. Could it be argued that, even if brandishing a AK-47, he was not a 'militant stamp collector' but just a militant individual who happens to be a stamp collector?

For the umpteenth it time depends on what he's being militant about. What doctrine is he following?

Hopefully you now get from your paragraph that I've adjusted to explain my position to you, you realise it would depend on whether he was doing it in the name of stamp collecting or not.

In other words, maybe he's a stamp collector and a gardener but he's being militant about gardening, in which case he wouldn't be a militant stamp collector, he'd be a militant gardener.:)

Edited by six45ive

Are we steering towards the subject that only atheists are academics.:rolleyes:

I assume you mean "claim" rather than "subject" but, no: I simply provided two dictionary definitions to help you with your problem.

If you interpret that as an attack or "steering" then I refer you back to my earlier mirror shop link.

I should also, now, point out the irony in your thread title; on this and the numerous other threads, the angry ones are pretty much always the "religious" posters. The non religious types are, in effect, the epitome of calmness.

More delusions, you see?

And, just so we're clear, how would the stamp collector be militant about gardening?

How exactly would his approach be different to, say, someone not being militant about gardening?

That all depends how you define militant and how you connect it to the person's actions combined with their motives.

All i can say after reading some of these posts (and i never thought i would here myself saying this) is thank goodness for militant Christians like Peter Hitchens,may they be more of them!

So, no direct response, as usual.

In my trade I always find that addressing the more difficult questions and issues is the most direct way to self improvement.

Just sayin'