Angry atheists rant thread.

I still see no evidence for your assertion,, no evidence that the pollsters actually understood the subtleties of what they were being asked, is not my experience of usage and even if it were, just reinforces the appeal to common usage fallacy. So you still lose all round.:)

..apart from the poll, where you've lost :)

The proof's in the understanding of the etymology. That's the only evidence I need meaning it's entirely irrelevant if 99% of the population agree with you, they'd be just as wrong as you've been throughout this thread.;)

No. I've explained already, the etymology does not determine how a word is used: how it's used determines that.

Etymology is a relevant factor, certainly, but, just one of several.

The actual meaning of 'meaning' is... a bit complex- I could go into it, but I think you'd have problems understanding it, so, to be brief, I'll say say that the meaning of a word is, effectively, the way it is used.

..apart from the poll, where you've lost :)

Which of course commits the fallacy that I've explained numerous times so is irrelevant.

No. I've explained already, the etymology does not determine how a word is used: how it's used determines that.

And I've explained that it does. Without the etymology words would have no meaning. The correct use of a word can only be expressed when a person understands that.

The actual meaning of 'meaning' is... a bit complex- I could go into it, but I think you'd have problems understanding it, so, to be brief, I'll say say that the meaning of a word is, effectively, the way it is used.

You can't 'go into it' at all. :hihi:

You have no clear understanding of what you're talking about and if you did attempt to explain you'd just tie yourself up in contradictory knots.:D

Do you agree janie or was you a christian all along?

I seem to have given you the impression i was a Jehovah's witness Drone. For the sake of clarifcation i'll explain. I havn't had any connection with that religion other then brief meetings with a few in my field of work,who were actually very nice,but i wouldn't wish to be part of any evangelical christian order,just as many atheists wouldn't wish to be part of an evangelical atheist movement.

So i just think of myself as christian with a degree of detachment from religious authority,and i don't think it matters what your beliefs/non beliefs are, as long as you have inner peace,and have the freedom to practice the religion of your choice if you need to do that, without imposing it on others.

I seem to have given you the impression i was a Jehovah's witness Drone. For the sake of clarifcation i'll explain. I havn't had any connection with that religion other then brief meetings with a few in my field of work,who were actually very nice,but i wouldn't wish to be part of any evangelical christian order,just as many atheists wouldn't wish to be part of an evangelical atheist movement.

So i just think of myself as christian with a degree of detachment from religious authority,and i don't think it matters what your beliefs/non beliefs are, as long as you have inner peace,and have the freedom to practice the religion of your choice if you need to do that, without imposing it on others.

Then stop knocking on doors then