Scam please help!!

Sorry but that's incorrect. There are various ways to scam money with a sort code & account number. If you also have the address it's even easier.

The long number (like a credit card number) is only used on electronic payment means.

I've had scammers ring me up and tell me my sort code and account number. The bank told me it's nothing to worry about because this information is insufficient to take money out.

Couple of things,

Like big_g said, do you know the IMEI number of the phone? It may be on the original box if you still have that?

Was it an iPhone? If you ever sync'd the phone with iTunes then you can get the IMEI from iTunes in the Preferences / Devices section.

Also if it was an iPhone they have a setting called Find My iPhone which can be used to locate your phone. If you had the setting turned on and you didn't wipe the phone before you posted it off then by going on to iCloud website you might be able to locate the phone or lock it remotely when it next connects to wi-fi. Thieves can simply reset the phone though to get rid of it but worth a try.

I put my phone on gumtree and someone wanted to buy it from a different city and asked me to post and they would pay the money into my account so I sent the phone and sent them a tracking code they said today that they have paid a cheque into my account (Barclays) thought their account witch is natwest, is that even possible? And does anyone know how long it will take to clear??

Sorry but

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

But on the 24/8/2012 in your past posts history, you claim to bank with Santander now ? also i do see your name crop up in the classifieds selling what i would class as expensive phones, would you really make a mistake like this ? Call me cynical but this post is not the other way round is it ? The question really being asked will the cheque clear before the phone is supposed to arrive at the buyer. Just a thought at a very late hour.

But on the 24/8/2012 in your past posts history, you claim to bank with Santander now ? also i do see your name crop up in the classifieds selling what i would class as expensive phones, would you really make a mistake like this ? Call me cynical but this post is not the other way round is it ? The question really being asked will the cheque clear before the phone is supposed to arrive at the buyer. Just a thought at a very late hour.

Ooooooh,

Ark at Poirot.:hihi:

I do bank with Santander and if you read my one of my message properly it says a used an old bank account! And as for expensive phone I've sold two on here one was for my sister and the other for a friend and I useually write that on the ad and as for the phone a rang Royal Mail and told them the situation and they told me if I went in to post office with some I.d they could trace the phone and recall it I have done this and now the phones on its way back to me so I haven't lost anything.

I do bank with Santander and if you read my one of my message properly it says a used an old bank account! And as for expensive phone I've sold two on here one was for my sister and the other for a friend and I useually write that on the ad and as for the phone a rang Royal Mail and told them the situation and they told me if I went in to post office with some I.d they could trace the phone and recall it I have done this and now the phones on its way back to me so I haven't lost anything.

Great news! Well done on acting so quickly!

I would do an unsavoury activity in a box now and post that to the scumbags! :hihi:

What are you going to do if the money actually reaches your account?

Archived