Painting asylum-seekers' doors red

Watched some of the Lib Dem conference this morning , a lady called Suzanne Fletcher from Stockton spoke about provision of housing for asylum seekers . In her constituency , 7 or 8 families are forced to share a single kitchen , with 4 pans and one chopping board . Fair enough , but she also said that G4S paint the front doors of asylum seekers with RED PAINT- is this true and if so why are they doing it ? What 's the significance of a red front door ?

Personally , I'd like to paint my front door red , as it makes it look very welcoming , but am having second thoughts now !!!

Am off to my evening class on how to survive on one egg a week :)

According to folklore having one's door painted red symbolised that the householder will have good fortune.

Although if it's G4S involved in the painting of the door then I'm more inclined to believe that they intended a red cross to be painted on their doors instead.

In the middle ages those with a red cross painted on their doors had the plague and the cross served as a warning to other villagers that if they came into contact with the householders then they too would perish

Archived