What causes the 'sparklies' in your eyes?

Another one of the connundrums of life. I always wondered what causes those bright sparkly things you see sometimes with your eyes.

Ummmm...not explaining it too well here. Sometimes when you sneeze you get them. Not when someone shines a bright light in your eyes!

You can sort of chase them around with your eyes when you get them (which is actually quite fun), and they only last 10 seconds or so.

Or am I being weird?

(Yeah I know, before anyone says...I am slightly)

Your eye is an optic nerve, and translates all stimuli into light. That's why when you shut your eyes and rub them you see a multi-coloured light show.

What causes the thing you see though, I dunno. :-)

You mean when your eyes are shut, you see the 'lightshow'?

They are particles. It's down to some kind of fluid and when particles block the light you see coloured things or black shadows.

That wasn't explained very well was it :hihi:. It was explained to me by a doctor years ago but I can't remember everything :D. Oh that reminds me, apparently it can be an ageing thing :o. It can also be a symptom of something more serious so if it's happening a lot or you suddenly see them when you haven't before, go see a doctor!

They are particles. It's down to some kind of fluid and when particles block the light you see coloured things or black shadows.

That wasn't explained very well was it :hihi:. It was explained to me by a doctor years ago but I can't remember everything :D. Oh that reminds me, apparently it can be an ageing thing :o. It can also be a symptom of something more serious so if it's happening a lot or you suddenly see them when you haven't before, go see a doctor!

The technical term for them, which isn't very technical, is floaters.

You are correct about the ageing thing, and most good opticians will ask you about them to get an opinion on the health of your eyes.

Hmmm..Ok...Particles it is then :huh::)

I'm not at all bothered about seeing them. Seen them ever since I can remember, but only occasionally. As I said sometimes when I sneeze or stand up quickly. I just wondered what actually caused them. Strangely I kinda like seeing them float about, and drift across my vision, and like I said, I try to follow them with my eyes! :D

The technical term for them, which isn't very technical, is floaters.

You are correct about the ageing thing, and most good opticians will ask you about them to get an opinion on the health of your eyes.

Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?...'Floaters' in my book are very different things, and quite difficult to get rid of! :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Sorry...It just struck me as funny!

(I don't think I had better google 'floaters') :hihi:

Well, I bit the bullet and looked up the term 'floaters', and it transpires it's NOT what I am refering to. It's more like the 'worm' type things that someone mentioned earlier. So do others actually get these 'sparklies' that I refer to or is it just me? I'm getting paranoid now!

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Floaters/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Archived