Have you permanently stopped taking sugar in tea?

I don't drink tea as can't stand the stuff - not even the smell of tea! :gag:

BUT

I do drink coffee and gave up taking sugar with it in 2000.

I used to drink coffee with both milk and one spoonful of sugar and now I don't have either!

Coffee is now so awful with sugar in - :gag:

• 2 weeks later...

..... I've known so called dieters drink copious pints of lager while shunning this worthy addition to a nice cuppa.

Never thought of that, I like a couple of pints in the evening :(

(I'm not stopping taking sugar as a diet thing though....)

Pleased to say that the quarter teaspoon I've been on for the last couple of weeks is starting to taste normal :)

I stopped after visiting relatives for a month who didn't use sugar. I seem to recall I just stopped as they had none in the house.

I couldn't go back to having sugar in tea, it tastes ghastly to me now. I can tell if someone stirs my tea with a spoon that has been used to put sugar in someone else's tea.

I don't have sugar in coffee either but don't mind it.

• 4 weeks later...
Tea without sugar is an acquired taste, when you have a taste for it try teas other than

Tetleys or Brook Bond, for example: Earl Grey, Dargeling, and my prefered tea Assam.

It's taken about five weeks to taste O.K - the last thing I had to do was give up my beloved Tetleys as it just tasted too strong, even just brewed fot two minutes - I didn't change to anything as esoteric as Earl Grey or Darjeeling like you, just plain old P.G Tips as it's not so strong.

So, the tea I now like is nothing like before, it's weaker, no sugar and not brewed for such a long time.

The tea I used to drink had one sugar and was strong - I used to leave the teabag in until it was finished :roll::hihi:

It might sound like a trivial question, the think is I'm trying to stop taking my teaspoon of sugar in tea.

I tried no sugar in the hope it might start to taste OK after a week, it didn't so I decided to wean myself off it.

I got sort of used to half a spoon, went to a quarter of a spoon and struggled, now I'm on a quarter of a spoon and a bit (I'm using cooks measuring spoons for accuracy :D

I'm struggling aren't I.....

So, have you ever given up sugar in tea or coffee?

Does it ever start to taste normal?

Is it best to wean yourself off it or just stop taking it and go cold turkey?

:help:

The easiest way is to stop drinking tea because without sugar it’s lousy. :gag:

It's taken about five weeks to taste O.K - the last thing I had to do was give up my beloved Tetleys as it just tasted too strong, even just brewed fot two minutes - I didn't change to anything as esoteric as Earl Grey or Darjeeling like you, just plain old P.G Tips as it's not so strong.

So, the tea I now like is nothing like before, it's weaker, no sugar and not brewed for such a long time.

The tea I used to drink had one sugar and was strong - I used to leave the teabag in until it was finished :roll::hihi:

Perhaps you could do the sugar withdrawal technique in reverse, but this time with the tea. Start leaving the tea bag in for a little longer each day, until you've built up to Full Builder's. Let us know how you get on.:)

When I was a kid I used to have 6 sugars in tea and I used to coat porridge, corn flakes, etc, in the stuff. I reduced sugar in tea bit by bit and now can't drink anything with sugar in it. A couple of years ago I switched to soya milk from cow's milk and after a bit of time adapting I now find it difficult to have tea without soya milk. However, for some strange reason, I prefer sweetened soya milk to unsweetened.

I've never taken sugar in my tea, it's foul. I've always liked it strongly brewed with a little milk but I tend to drink mostly rooibos tea now which I drink black. Today I had a 'normal' cup of tea with milk for the first time in a month or so and it tasted horrible. Guess I need to get used to it again.

Archived