Have you permanently stopped taking sugar in tea?

There was a sweet thick milk called Fussels if I remember rightly:gag:

My grandpa used to use condensed milk (Fussels) to milk and sweeten his tea. (:gag: he also used Tall-bottle milk :gag: )

Fussels is owned by Nestle, who also own Carnation (who make evaporated milk)

When I was a kid I used to have 6 sugars in tea and I used to coat porridge, corn flakes, etc, in the stuff. I reduced sugar in tea bit by bit and now can't drink anything with sugar in it. A couple of years ago I switched to soya milk from cow's milk and after a bit of time adapting I now find it difficult to have tea without soya milk. However, for some strange reason, I prefer sweetened soya milk to unsweetened.

MY stepson used to put more sugar on his frosties... UGH! I don't have sugar on my cereal. Except for porridge, that is...

I tried a vegan diet for a while, and wasn't fond of unsweetened soya milk at all. Sweetened was bearable - just. I found it didn't do well put into hot drinks like tea or coffee, as it curdled.

My grandpa used to use condensed milk (Fussels) to milk and sweeten his tea. (:gag: he also used Tall-bottle milk :gag: )

Fussels is owned by Nestle, who also own Carnation (who make evaporated milk)

I remember the tall bottle neck milk with the beer bottle type top. I wonder if it is still around.

it is. it's called "UHT" now (yeuch!)

Sterilised milk and UHT have different processes though. Sterilised was actually boiled whereas UHT is flash treated in very small droplets so the 'cooked' taste of the milk is less with UHT than with sterilised.

Can you tell I've got a relative that works for a milk company?

I stopped taking sugar in tea way back in 1960 when I was working in a shop where nobody else took it so they didn't buy it in.

I soon got used to it though and now if someone else accidently sugars my tea, I can't stand it and we have to start again. Ughhh!

:gag:

I remember the tall bottle neck milk with the beer bottle type top. I wonder if it is still around.

I spent 2 years in Singapore where the only milk we could get was the tall bottle type. "Fernleaf" it was called there. Oh we could get the tinned stuff like Ideal or Carnation but to me, that's more like cream. When I came home to Attercliffe to my parents, the first thing I did was go to the fridge, whip out a bottle of "Proper Milk" and swig it down without hardly coming up for air.....it was lovely.:love:

Sterilised milk and UHT have different processes though. Sterilised was actually boiled whereas UHT is flash treated in very small droplets so the 'cooked' taste of the milk is less with UHT than with sterilised.

Can you tell I've got a relative that works for a milk company?

That's interesting information, Medusa.

I really dislike both those types of milk. I find they taste pretty much the same to me, and I only use UHT/ Sterilised milk if there is no other option.

I thought the process was the same, that both milks were treated at high temperatures.

I know homogenised milk has the cream split into minute droplets, in order to distribute it evenly through the milk, and that the spraying method is how this is done for this type of milk.

Archived