Motability refusing to insure the only person able to drive me

Hi people,

I've had a Vauxhall Zafira 1,9CDTi for over 2years now and sometimes I've had to insure my mate Joe on the car so he can drive me to hospital or to share the driving when we would go on holiday. He's 21 had his licence since he was 18 and he has no driving convictions (he lives 6.1mile from me).

Well last week my mum was in hospital and I had to go to hospital to the emergency eye clinic so I called RSA to insure Joe only to be told they wouldn't insure him as my car is too powerful :o I told them it was urgent for me to get to hospital and they said they'd insure him but only for a few hours.

I only went for such a big car so I could fit my wheelchair in the back so I didn't really have much choice in cars. They've insured him before with no issues so why change now?

Hi people,

I've had a Vauxhall Zafira 1,9CDTi for over 2years now and sometimes I've had to insure my mate Joe on the car so he can drive me to hospital or to share the driving when we would go on holiday. He's 21 had his licence since he was 18 and he has no driving convictions (he lives 6.1mile from me).

Well last week my mum was in hospital and I had to go to hospital to the emergency eye clinic so I called RSA to insure Joe only to be told they wouldn't insure him as my car is too powerful :o I told them it was urgent for me to get to hospital and they said they'd insure him but only for a few hours.

I only went for such a big car so I could fit my wheelchair in the back so I didn't really have much choice in cars. They've insured him before with no issues so why change now?

you have answered your own question-" they would not insure him because the car is too powerful". what I am curious about is this --who is the insured driver on your policy? and do you not have a second driver on the policy?

I'm the insured driver but sometimes if I'm too ill I need to insure someone else such as when I needed to go to the eye clinic, I was struggling to see so wasnt safe for me to drive.

I was told I could leave the 2nd slot empty so if i ever needed to insure someone then I can, usually I'd insure my mum but she was in hospital. They have insured my mate before with no issues infact they once insured him for a full month as I was ill. Why the sudden change?

I'm the insured driver but sometimes if I'm too ill I need to insure someone else such as when I needed to go to the eye clinic, I was struggling to see so wasnt safe for me to drive.

I was told I could leave the 2nd slot empty so if i ever needed to insure someone then I can, usually I'd insure my mum but she was in hospital. They have insured my mate before with no issues infact they once insured him for a full month as I was ill. Why the sudden change?

this sounds like a typical insurance compny move. everythings o.k. for a while and then they shift the goalposts---just because they can. and if I remember correctly by haveing a motobility car you are tied to the insurance so you cant look for something different. hope you can sort something out for this

they are realy clamping down on this...and with good reason

I know of some one who has had brand new cars for years via his mothers mobilty along with tax no test as they are new and not sure if the insurance is also paid ?

now for about the 8 years or so I have know this person I have never seen the mother in the car and it is just used for outings -holadays - and genral day to day use ..

I realy think if the mobilty give ppl a free car with all the trimmings they should have to log or report everytime the car is used and the reason it is used for along with proof and mileage checks ..

and not just be a fancy new car for a family member to own and use like they own it for fun and daily driveing ...

also as some one say's above taxis are cheaper or even a bus and if you don't like taxis or the bus then pay your own insurance for your very own chauffeur !

this sounds like a typical insurance compny move. everythings o.k. for a while and then they shift the goalposts---just because they can. and if I remember correctly by haveing a motobility car you are tied to the insurance so you cant look for something different. hope you can sort something out for this

Yeah tell me about it. I'd been with a company for years, and I changed car, and rang up to advise the change, and they said "Oh ...we won't insure you with that car"...No reason why....So I had to go with another company!...I've been driving for 39 years and never made a claim of any description. :loopy:

they are realy clamping down on this...and with good reason

I know of some one who has had brand new cars for years via his mothers mobilty along with tax no test as they are new and not sure if the insurance is also paid ?

now for about the 8 years or so I have know this person I have never seen the mother in the car and it is just used for outings -holadays - and genral day to day use ..

I realy think if the mobilty give ppl a free car with all the trimmings they should have to log or report everytime the car is used and the reason it is used for along with proof and mileage checks ..

and not just be a fancy new car for a family member to own and use like they own it for fun and daily driveing ...

also as some one say's above taxis are cheaper or even a bus and if you don't like taxis or the bus then pay your own insurance for your very own chauffeur !

So based on the one person you know who seemingly is abusing the system,every other genuine person should be asked to do the things you are suggesting,get real.

Yeah tell me about it. I'd been with a company for years, and I changed car, and rang up to advise the change, and they said "Oh ...we won't insure you with that car"...No reason why....So I had to go with another company!...I've been driving for 39 years and never made a claim of any description. :loopy:

But you may have changed to a car that's easy or desirable to pinch, and since they saw the Parsons Cross postcode the computer probably had a fit.

They did the same to me in Bradford - they would not insure a BMW M series full stop with theft on the policy. They would insure it fully comp, without the theft cover though....

Archived