Neighbours running a business from communal carpark

Bollie

I really do not know what to do about this....

I own my house, it is ex-council on a council estate. I do not have a driveway but do share a communal car-park with my neighbours.

Two Asian men moved in some time ago, into a house a little further away and should not share access to this car-park. I noticed that they were always cleaning cars out in front of their house and showing people round them.

One car lead to two, then there were three - all parked on the road-side. Now they've parked another with no tax disc in our car-park. Not even considerately, it's taking up two spaces... and it's a fight to get a single space for people who actually live here!

Can I do anything about this? When I got my mortgage, I was told, in no un-certain terms that I must never operate a business from my property (not sure why).

Are they breaking any laws? Surely they cannot do this....

Yes. SCC may be freehold reversioners, if the houses were sold leasehold- and able to enforce leasehold covenants; or, even if the sales were freehold, able to enforce new freehold covenants imposed on each RTB sale.

They are also Local Planning Authority- able to enforce possible breach of planning control.

I've heard that if it is 'Off Road', it does not have to be taxed. Is it classed as off road if it is in a car-park?

I suppose technically, it is.....

If the car has not being declared as off road than an offence is being comitted.

And even if it has been declared as off-road, it's parked on property which they apparently don't have permission to use.

Ask them to remove it, and if they don't have it towed.

Well..... it's tricky because it's a Council Carpark with a sign up saying 'Residents Only', but it doesn't state which residents...

Archived