The age of consent

Feel free to partake.  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Feel free to partake.

• No limitations

As I see it the law is there to protect those who may not be mature enough to fully understand the significance of having sex. So regardless of whether they are 'sexually mature' (not sure what that means really) the point is they need to be grown up enough to make a free informed choice fully aware of where it might lead. I'm sure some of the young girls raped and abused in the Rochdale case could be described as 'sexually mature' but they were physically and emotionally vulnerable to exploitation in part because of their age.

Currently our laws make it illegal for anyone to have sex with a person under the age of 16.

That means that two 15 year-olds having consensual, sexual contact are both committing a crime.

Whilst current charging and prosecuting practice may not make a big deal over this, it is something that needs to be discussed and clarified.

That's not relevant to the age of consent, you can be at it with someone 90 years old as long as you are 16 or over, under current law, might not be the norm but it's legal !

It can be entirely relevant, in fact it can be as relevant or not as I wish. For a start if you are in a position of trust 16 is not a legal age to start with...

That's why I left it open obelix. The other thread was being derailailed because the subject matter was becoming clouded.

Basically tear up existing law and apply new and explore why. Hope that makes sense.

I'd say "regular" rumpy pumpy at the age of 15 myself. For those of the age of 13-15 I would recommend that if there is no coercion, both are of capacity and both partners are of that age range then the courts should only have the power to refer the matter to Social Services for their consideration, basically decriminalizing it under those limited circumstances

I think reducing it to 14 only panders to the way our children are quite literally force fed sex. As a youngster at that age I really can't remember an ethos of sexuality within society which was so vigorously and psycologically hammered home at every level. I can remember and noticing how my body was changing and how those changes altered my feelings towards girls, in no way were those feelings able to equipe me with the consequences of penerative sex.

Personally I think reducing feeds the machine that sells sex rather than have any concern over the healthy well being of our young. I also think that whatever the age, our children should be buffered by a period of 15yrs from adults.

Not voted yet.

I think reducing it to 14 only panders to the way our children are quite literally force fed sex. As a youngster at that age I really can't remember an ethos of sexuality within society which was so vigorously and psycologically hammered home at every level. I can remember and noticing how my body was changing and how those changes altered my feelings towards girls, in no way were those feelings able to equipe me with the consequences of penerative sex.

Personally I think reducing feeds the machine that sells sex rather than have any concern over the healthy well being of our young. I also think that whatever the age, our children should be buffered by a period of 15yrs from adults.

Not voted yet.

I agree, the sexualisation of almost every aspect of our lives has had a very damaging impact on society. The sexualisation seems to start very early nowadays. I voted for 18.

Archived