Is it safe to assume ALL insurance renewal quotes are a rip off?

I insure my household contents through Saga insurance.

I had a renewal come through (one where if you accept the quote, you don't have to do anything, and it automatically renews). The cost was £240 quid. This seemed a lot to me so I rang them and queried it. Spoke to customer services and they said I could have a customer loyalty discount of £40. I said I'll let you know!

So I went on the Meercat site, and low and behold for the exact same cover with Saga, the price was £138. So I rang Saga again to advise them. I was told "there's nothing we can do about comparison sites, if you want that price then you'll have to cancel the existing policy and take that one out on line"....I couldn't believe my ears!

So that's what I've had to do. How bizarre!!!:loopy:

I seem to remember last year, I had to complain too, and they gave me some sort of discount (can't remember how much).

So a word of warning NEVER, ever accept a renewal quote!!!

How do I claim my Meercat?

I insure my household contents through Saga insurance.

I had a renewal come through (one where if you accept the quote, you don't have to do anything, and it automatically renews). The cost was £240 quid. This seemed a lot to me so I rang them and queried it. Spoke to customer services and they said I could have a customer loyalty discount of £40. I said I'll let you know!

So I went on the Meercat site, and low and behold for the exact same cover with Saga, the price was £138. So I rang Saga again to advise them. I was told "there's nothing we can do about comparison sites, if you want that price then you'll have to cancel the existing policy and take that one out on line"....I couldn't believe my ears!

So that's what I've had to do. How bizarre!!!:loopy:

I seem to remember last year, I had to complain too, and they gave me some sort of discount (can't remember how much).

So a word of warning NEVER, ever accept a renewal quote!!!

How do I claim my Meercat?

Had exactly the same experience. Our Saga is due for renewal shortly so we had a look at the comparison site, AA was almost a quarter of what we're currently paying with Saga and, as you say, Saga was considerably cheaper than our current Saga.

I approached Saga to be told that they can't give me a quote yet because I'm not in their "renewal cycle" and if I want the comparison Saga price then I need to cancel our current Saga policy.

We insured with Prudential for almost 40 years prior to changing to Saga last year and, they're just as bad, we hadn't claimed in all those years but, the premiums kept increasing and we never received any loyalty discount in all that time.

Is there a remotely honest home insurance company anywhere?

Had exactly the same experience. Our Saga is due for renewal shortly so we had a look at the comparison site, AA was almost a quarter of what we're currently paying with Saga and, as you say, Saga was considerably cheaper than our current Saga.

I approached Saga to be told that they can't give me a quote yet because I'm not in their "renewal cycle" and if I want the comparison Saga price then I need to cancel our current Saga policy.

We insured with Prudential for almost 40 years prior to changing to Saga last year and, they're just as bad, we hadn't claimed in all those years but, the premiums kept increasing and we never received any loyalty discount in all that time.

Is there a remotely honest home insurance company anywhere?

No I don't think there is. They've also started the tack of not covering water damage without a £150 excess, even though I actually pay more to have a zero excess. Bloody floods. Where I live there's no chance of flooding cos I live at the top of a hill. But the effect also means if I have a burst pipe in the bathroom and get some sort of water damage, then I'm saddled with this stupid excess! :rant:

You need to double check when they suggest that you could cancel and take the cheaper online price.

There may well be some subtle (or not) difference in the terms of the policies.

I did. I read all the small print (bit of a stickler for that), and it's exactly the same cover!...I was astounded...and not very happy. But it seems they're all as bad as one another!

If you think about it though, is it such a surprise, insurance companies just like any other exist to make as much money out of us as possible.

Well, yes they are all there to make money, but I think it's just dishonest to charge an existing customer more than it would anyone else.

The Saga renewal that I chose (on line), I only really chose it to stay with the same company, and just to give them the 'bird'. There were even cheaper options. But not knowing what those companies were like, I didn't choose them.

Except in my particular circumstances, it has the effect of driving away existing customers. Surely that's not a policy any business model would support?

When I receive our Saga renewal advice I'll let you know how it compares with my current policy with Saga and comparison sites.

That would be interesting. Betcha it's at least £50 more than last year, and probably £100 more than the cheapest quote elsewhere! :(

Archived