Is it safe to assume ALL insurance renewal quotes are a rip off?

Well, yes they are all there to make money, but I think it's just dishonest to charge an existing customer more than it would anyone else.

The Saga renewal that I chose (on line), I only really chose it to stay with the same company, and just to give them the 'bird'. There were even cheaper options. But not knowing what those companies were like, I didn't choose them.

Except in my particular circumstances, it has the effect of driving away existing customers. Surely that's not a policy any business model would support?

Why is it dishonest, they are not claiming that the renewal quote is their best quote. You need to treat it as their opening offer, think of as buying a house.

Why is it dishonest, they are not claiming that the renewal quote is their best quote. You need to treat it as their opening offer, think of as buying a house.

Maybe because it's Saga, they think if you're over 50 then you're probably not savvy enough to check, and just accept the renewal as 'read'. I suppose many of their customers do just accept it.

I would call it dishonest. I got the same cover with the same company for getting on for a hundred pounds less than their renewal price. If that's not dishonest (or at the least a bit slippery), then I'm not sure what is.

Which really is the point of the thread. Don't accept a renewal as being their best offer!

Was really pleased earlier this month. My insurance renews on Monday, for the first time ever they have knocked my premium down by £70. I'm with Hastings Direct.

Usually the existing insurer tries doubling it hoping you'll just not notice and let it auto-renew.

Maybe we ought to have a shame list on here? :hihi:

Archived