Logbook loan help!

bobtailbabe

Why isnt there more criticism of the person who sold you the car?

I would have thought my feelings towards the person who sold us the car would be pretty obvious!

I just wanted to point out my reasons why the loan company weren't exactly an 'innocent party' in our experience. They also made it extremely difficult to get our car back and wanted to charge us for them storing the car whilst the whole thing was being sorted out. I made just under 100 phone calls to the loan company and very few were returned as promised. It was almost impossible to speak to anyone to make any kind of progress. They also failed to mention the smashed driver's window and other damage which had occurred whilst 'recovering' the vehicle.

Sorry em it was more to karaoke who is busy blaming the loan company.

Karaoke got misled or failed to check on the seller and so made a bad purchase. What he bought was a car encumbered with a legitimate loan. He has now done an HPI check and the loan shows up. Why didnt he do it at the time? The loan company was merely calling in its security. The whole reason they take security is so that they dont have to chase the person, but can reclaim what becomes their property. They always had more right to the car than he did because they are a secured creditor. This is nothing new and is what happens when say a business fails.

It is still open to karaoke to chase the person who sold him the car in the first place.

yes u can criticism the seller but if loan company cant get money from seller how can you expect to get money and expense to sue them if they cant pay or unemployed, as above they come dead of night or when you in bed asleep and take car with all private possessions' in the car. if u lucky u might get a note through ya door from the repo men who took car stating reasons car be reprocessed been done. with address and phone number of HP loan. they gave one to me when they took mine. I reported it to police too. I still have a log book in my name. I prob need to send it back with address of HP company as Owner of car and date time it went from my hands and not the keeper anyone. the loan company will use there log book with last owner for auction. when new keeper gets new log book my name will be on it as extra user. so the original log book might say 6 owners in auction and 7 when they get new one. the loan company still wont wipe the debt off. if they really nasty they could remain the owner too and repossess the vehicle in 6 months time to do it to auction buyer.

Have you any evidence that they do this? I doubt it, it would be fraud on the part of the loan company.

If I steal £3000 from someone's house Police will lock me up and charges will be made.

If I sell a car that belongs to loan shark for £3000 and pocket that money, criminal charges could still be made but in reality the changes I get away with it lightly are much more likely.

If you get a HPI check and its wrong, aren't you covered?

https://www.hpicheck.com/furniture/guarantee.html

In the case where HPI provides incorrect data affecting vehicle title (such as theft or outstanding finance), the HPI Guarantee will cover up to £30,000, either in compensation or the costs needed to obtain good title to the vehicle (at HPI's discretion).

We paid for a Hpi check before buying our car but it didn't show the loan. It's only from experience that we learnt that not all finance will be registered. More people need to be made aware of this. Also, loan companies should contact the new registered keepers to make them aware of the situation before taking the vehicles in the dead of night. I went 2 months thinking my car had been stolen, wasted police time and that of myself and my insurance company by making a claim for theft. Not to mention the stress and affect on my health the whole experience caused. THAT lies with the loan company. I appreciate that people may see them as only providing a service but the way they operate could be vastly improved.

Did you do a "Full" Hpi check for about £20 or one of the really cheap ones?

If you get a HPI check and its wrong, aren't you covered?

https://www.hpicheck.com/furniture/guarantee.html

You do and IIRC they do cover log book loan situations (seem to remember seeing it on Watchdog a few years back)

However alot of people seem to use other services, which don't include this and then moan when the car is repossesed :loopy:

If you pay £2 for a vehicle check, you get £2's worth of service.

If I steal £3000 from someone's house Police will lock me up and charges will be made.

If I sell a car that belongs to loan shark for £3000 and pocket that money, criminal charges could still be made but in reality the changes I get away with it lightly are much more likely.

Not even criminal charges: it's a civil matter.

You do and IIRC they do cover log book loan situations (seem to remember seeing it on Watchdog a few years back)

However alot of people seem to use other services, which don't include this and then moan when the car is repossesed :loopy:

If you pay £2 for a vehicle check, you get £2's worth of service.

Yep, people say they've done an HPI check when they haven't really...as I understand it HPI is the name of a company.. lots of others will do a check but it won't be as good as an HPI one... as you say you get what you pay for...for an extra £15 or so it's wise to go for the proper one..

Archived