All of the qualities that make us human

I can show you cephalopods that exhibit empathy, deceit, embarassment, jealousy and anger - providing you can recognise them. Of course the big problem is you don't have the cephalopod's head for jokes, or understand their language, so you're never going to understand their humour.

Ok...can you offer any human behaviours or attributes that appear to be unique and not shared by any other species?

I don't think I am coming across too clearly.

What I mean is: does the leopard realise that it is its colouring that makes it a successful hunter and therefore consciously utilize it within the surroundings, or does it blindly go about its business unaware that it is using the camouflage it has inherited? And if it was suddenly given a different colouring, would it be aware that this was the reason why its kill rate had dropped off? Would it immediately alter its tactics before it gave up and starved?

I believe the answer is yes.

Take the example of the leopard that is born completely black (pigment variation and we call them Panthers) and who, within a normally coloured group in the wild, is the one who hunts mainly at night. Why ??

I must admit that I have never seen this. Must be quite something. But back to my original post. Do you think the leopard is aware that it is his colouring that helps him hunt? And if we stick a high viz on him do you think he'd catch on before starving to death?

I think it would stand in line at a burger stall and go unnoticed, preying on unsuspecting council workers.

There are lots of examples of animals doing quite remarkable things, some of these actions will be imprinted some maybe not.

It's ok looking like a leaf but you still have to know where to be on the tree, there must be some understanding of surroundings mustn't there? he asked knowing the repost.

I believe the answer is yes.

Take the example of the leopard that is born completely black (pigment variation and we call them Panthers) and who, within a normally coloured group in the wild, is the one who hunts mainly at night. Why ??

Possibly because once they are old enough to hunt for themselves they began trying to catch food in daylight, but being unsuccessful, they had to carry on trying into the night before catching something..... thus resting up during the day.... awaking just prior to dusk and thus, a habitual lifestyle is developed.

Archived