Children with cancer beg smokers not to smoke outside their windows.

Despite the area being no smoking selfish smokers continue to smoke outside a childrens ward window.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/health/young-patients-beg-selfish-visitors-1350155

PATIENTS at a children’s hospital have started their own campaign to stop smokers lighting up outside their wards.

The youngsters at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow – some suffering from fatal illnesses – have designed new “no smoking” posters after a previous bid to stub the problem out failed.

Last week, we revealed how shameless visitors ignored an emotional plea to stop smoking from a seven-year-old cancer patient.

The terminally ill boy featured on a sign which begged smokers not to light up under his window because he was breathing in their toxic fumes.

Courtney Sloan, 12, of Kilmarnock, was one of 10 youngsters who took part in the project.

The schoolgirl, who has Crohn’s disease, has been an in-patient for 10 months.

She said: “I can smell cigarette smoke coming through the air vents when I go down to the canteen.

“It’s horrible and it can sometimes make me feel quite sick. All the children think it’s disgusting and wish people would smoke in the street instead.

In July, we revealed how cancer patients arriving at chemotherapy clinics had to walk through a haze of smoke as staff and visitors lit up at entrances despite signs forbidding it.

I have seen similar crowds of smokers in the no smoking area outside the Hallamshire Hospital. Isn't it time hospital authorities actually made the effort to enforce their own no smoking areas?

ISTR when the smoking on premises ban first came in, the rule was that if we allowed people to smoke in or near enough to our doorway that smoke could enter, we were liable to be fined up to £1000.

I think this is still in force. Maybe the authorities should start sending a few fines out? Concentrate their minds a bit?

I was told I could smoke in my hospital room at the Weston Park when I was having ablative radiotherapy. I certainly couldn't sneak out for a ciggie in the street, as I was a radioactive health hazard to other people, and would have set all the alarms off.

Yes it must be awful to be so addicted to tobacco that you cannot manage without it whilst in hospital being treated for some horrible illness that the tobacco probably gave you.

Yes it must be awful to be so addicted to tobacco that you cannot manage without it whilst in hospital being treated for some horrible illness that the tobacco probably gave you.

It was quite nice of the ward matron I thought. And far from awful. For the record, I wasn't being treated for a smoking related illness, but a milk related one.

It was quite nice of the ward matron I thought. And far from awful. For the record, I wasn't being treated for a smoking related illness, but a milk related one.

I'm not sure the other patients would agree there, but I suppose a smokers main priority is the next ciggie and not the health of others.

Despite the area being no smoking selfish smokers continue to smoke outside a childrens ward window.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/health/young-patients-beg-selfish-visitors-1350155

PATIENTS at a children’s hospital have started their own campaign to stop smokers lighting up outside their wards.

The youngsters at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow – some suffering from fatal illnesses – have designed new “no smoking” posters after a previous bid to stub the problem out failed.

Last week, we revealed how shameless visitors ignored an emotional plea to stop smoking from a seven-year-old cancer patient.

The terminally ill boy featured on a sign which begged smokers not to light up under his window because he was breathing in their toxic fumes.

Courtney Sloan, 12, of Kilmarnock, was one of 10 youngsters who took part in the project.

The schoolgirl, who has Crohn’s disease, has been an in-patient for 10 months.

She said: “I can smell cigarette smoke coming through the air vents when I go down to the canteen.

“It’s horrible and it can sometimes make me feel quite sick. All the children think it’s disgusting and wish people would smoke in the street instead.

In July, we revealed how cancer patients arriving at chemotherapy clinics had to walk through a haze of smoke as staff and visitors lit up at entrances despite signs forbidding it.

I have seen similar crowds of smokers in the no smoking area outside the Hallamshire Hospital. Isn't it time hospital authorities actually made the effort to enforce their own no smoking areas?

Do you ever drive any of your petrol guzzling cars near there?;)

I think using kids in this way should see those responsible locked up!

If they are terminally ill what difference will it make,not that a bit of smoke ,(even if there was any) is proved to cause any health problems at all.after all were told were living longer than ever before yet these are the same people that grew up in smoke filled cars,pubs,homes and work places.

Its all a nonscense!

Archived