Children with cancer beg smokers not to smoke outside their windows.

Despite the area being no smoking selfish smokers continue to smoke outside a childrens ward window.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/health/young-patients-beg-selfish-visitors-1350155

PATIENTS at a children’s hospital have started their own campaign to stop smokers lighting up outside their wards.

The youngsters at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow – some suffering from fatal illnesses – have designed new “no smoking” posters after a previous bid to stub the problem out failed.

Last week, we revealed how shameless visitors ignored an emotional plea to stop smoking from a seven-year-old cancer patient.

The terminally ill boy featured on a sign which begged smokers not to light up under his window because he was breathing in their toxic fumes.

Courtney Sloan, 12, of Kilmarnock, was one of 10 youngsters who took part in the project.

The schoolgirl, who has Crohn’s disease, has been an in-patient for 10 months.

She said: “I can smell cigarette smoke coming through the air vents when I go down to the canteen.

“It’s horrible and it can sometimes make me feel quite sick. All the children think it’s disgusting and wish people would smoke in the street instead.

In July, we revealed how cancer patients arriving at chemotherapy clinics had to walk through a haze of smoke as staff and visitors lit up at entrances despite signs forbidding it.

I have seen similar crowds of smokers in the no smoking area outside the Hallamshire Hospital. Isn't it time hospital authorities actually made the effort to enforce their own no smoking areas?

Easy solution is for the hospital to provide a sheltered smoking area conveniently close to the entrances, but far enough away that people using the entrance aren't affected. Just make sure it's a nice enough shelter that smokers don't feel degraded using it i.e. not some little transparent box a mile round the back in some dingy location that makes smokers feel like 2nd class citizens that should be ashamed of themselves.

Easy solution is for the hospital to provide a sheltered smoking area conveniently close to the entrances, but far enough away that people using the entrance aren't affected. Just make sure it's a nice enough shelter that smokers don't feel degraded using it i.e. not some little transparent box a mile round the back in some dingy location that makes smokers feel like 2nd class citizens that should be ashamed of themselves.

There is one of these at the Hallamshire, it doesn't get used though probably because you have to walk an extra 20 meters to get to it..

Y:thumbsup:es it is wrong to denigrate the smokers whose taxes finance so much NHS expenditure-thanks for smoking guys!

Smokers have had their day and the sooner they realise that the better, I have been visiting my mum daily at hospital and the entrance is littered with people on drips smoking ….. it’s a joke.

There was even one guy with handcuffs on chained to two security guards … all so he could have a cig …. What a waist of resources and money.

Smokers have had their day and the sooner they realise that the better, I have been visiting my mum daily at hospital and the entrance is littered with people on drips smoking ….. it’s a joke.

There was even one guy with handcuffs on chained to two security guards … all so he could have a cig …. What a waist of resources and money.

That really takes the biscuit-absolutley tragic.How can anyone smoke at 35p a pop?

Archived