Children with cancer beg smokers not to smoke outside their windows.

Wow that is one small hospital. Did they fumigate it before the next patient was admitted and did the doctors and nurses not enter your room?

No one entered or left the room at all for 3 days. Hence 'isolation', for your safety, not mine.

Why would they fumigate it? Didn't I just do that?

They certainly cleansed it thoroughly after my visit.

But I had to do all my own washing up!

There is no right to smoke on hospital property.

I never said there was.

But, given that there's a problem with people smoking at the entrance, with the hospital either unwilling or unable to enforce the ban, I was pointing out that an easy solution would be to provide a shelter a few meters from the entrance, close enough that smokers would happily use it, far enough that users of the entrance won't be bothered by smoke.

I never said there was.

But, given that there's a problem with people smoking at the entrance, with the hospital either unwilling or unable to enforce the ban, I was pointing out that an easy solution would be to provide a shelter a few meters from the entrance, close enough that smokers would happily use it, far enough that users of the entrance won't be bothered by smoke.

I suspect that the shelter was built exactly where it wouldn't bother others or block the enterance, but the smokers are too bone idle to walk the few metres to use it.

I never said there was.

Yes you did!

Not for those of us who can subtract properly :) at 20m-15m, it will be 5m from the entrance, which, in my opinion, is a reasonable compromise- far enough from the entrance to not be a bother, but not so far as to make those wishing to exercise their right to smoke, feel like 2nd class citizens.

Yes you did!

That's not the same as having a right to smoke on hospital property. I really don't see why anyone should be allowed to smoke on hospital property, but if there are to be concessions it should be the priority to consider the rights of patients who don't want to have to breathe cigarette smoke. Followed by the rights and needs of people to gain access without having to push past smokers.

Once those criteria are met and if there is space, then the idea of a smoking area could be considered. But its positioning should be dictated by the needs of the hospital to protect hospital users and not folk who cannot manage without a cigarette.

AND... If such a concession is made then it's use should be policed and fines dished out to those not observing the rules.

Archived