Children with cancer beg smokers not to smoke outside their windows.

I smoke.

I smoke a pipe - in which I burn a Cavendish (google it) tobacco.

In the US, if you light a cigarette within about 1000 yards of somebody (anybody) who might 'know' about cigarettes, ' your ass is grass!'

I'm a very thoughtful sort of bloke, so (on those rare occasions that I do fire up my pipe in public) I do it well downwind.

The buggers swarm around me like honey bees who've lost their queen!

"What a wonderful smell! It's so nice to find a man who smokes a pipe!"

If she's a bit grim, I say: "I'm smoking that nasty tobacco stuff, If you breathe it within about 1500 yards you're going to die!"

Actually, it does smell rather good and I've made a number of new friends. ;)

Move it to 5 meters from the door and they'll probably use it. 5m is a reasonable distance to walk, but it's far enough from the entrance so that people can use the entrance without being bothered by smoke.

20m is too far- the fact that it has no benefits over 5m for anyone, really suggests that it's at that distance puerly to make the smokers feel like 2nd hand citizens- that'll be why they're not using it.

Do smokers park in the disabled bays when they go to supermarkets?

Such as?

Without the legal clout then it cant.

There is a £50 on the spot fine for smoking on a railway station platform. It wouldn't take much to introduce the same for hospital grounds. At the moment hospitals that have the will to rid the grounds of smokers fine them for dropping litter. It isn't a legal requirement to provide ashtrays in non smoking areas.

Archived