Popple street chip shop

pigeon

Was a good chippie that was pigeon, the people that owned it lived across from us on hinde house lane

I never knew that they lived on Hinde House Lane ? thought they lived on Popple street and yes it was a good chippy fish cakes second to no other!

I was born & brought up at 97 Hinde House Lane & dad & I used to go to the Popple Street fish shop every Saturday lunch time from the late 1940's until I left to get married in 1968. Dad had fish & chips, mum had fish without batter & chips & I had cake & chips, We always had 2 cartons of peas & a bag of scraps if they had them.

The shop was nearly always full on Saturday lunch times with the queue going onto the pavement outside.

When I was at night school in the 1960's I always used to call in for a bag of chips & had them at home for supper with mums home made beef gravy - yummy!!

Is it my imagination or were fish & chips less fatty then than they often are now?

I was born & brought up at 97 Hinde House Lane & dad & I used to go to the Popple Street fish shop every Saturday lunch time from the late 1940's until I left to get married in 1968. Dad had fish & chips, mum had fish without batter & chips & I had cake & chips, We always had 2 cartons of peas & a bag of scraps if they had them.

The shop was nearly always full on Saturday lunch times with the queue going onto the pavement outside.

When I was at night school in the 1960's I always used to call in for a bag of chips & had them at home for supper with mums home made beef gravy - yummy!!

Is it my imagination or were fish & chips less fatty then than they often are now?

I bought a house on Hinde house lane not far from the woods Knew the chippie well Is it still there........x

seem to have been less fatty the oil may have changed over the years or were they cooked in dripping? the only competition to popple st chippy was Bridges on Rushby St and I dont think they opened at night?

Archived