Disconnected or connected kid's ?

We move on, we discover faster and 'better' way's to communicate with each other. We have Skype, Instant messenger, Video calling, Facebook, Twitter et al. But (ok ! Pedants) do our kids actually benefit through this mass media ? I am sick and tired of telling my git of a son to get off his bloody phone as his life seems pre occupied with pressing buttons or tapping a screen when he could be doing or learning something else. OH YES !!! I am tapping butons now and using over exclamation :help: but !!! I have hobbies that I get on with and daily tasks to do. Unlike my laddo that thinks that life apart from text or twitter is unbearable..... Should I beat him within an inch of his life OR take his smart Phone off him ?

OPINES ;)

i often worry about this and i'm 24. I use my iPhone often but i do use it for informative things finding out cinema times,latest news and sport, and just in general internet i've used apps to track planes find planets in the night sky watch comedy on youtube etc etc the way i see it is a lot of teenagers through every generation have always been thick/naive/daft/ignorant but the older you get the more wiser to the world you are. you take note of your surroundings and the people around you and peoples body language reacting to your actions...........what i'm trying to say in a nutshell is don't worry he'll get older and find either drink,drugs,girls and violence and then you'll have something else to worry about :help:

We move on, we discover faster and 'better' way's to communicate with each other. We have Skype, Instant messenger, Video calling, Facebook, Twitter et al. But (ok ! Pedants) do our kids actually benefit through this mass media ? I am sick and tired of telling my git of a son to get off his bloody phone as his life seems pre occupied with pressing buttons or tapping a screen when he could be doing or learning something else. OH YES !!! I am tapping butons now and using over exclamation :help: but !!! I have hobbies that I get on with and daily tasks to do. Unlike my laddo that thinks that life apart from text or twitter is unbearable..... Should I beat him within an inch of his life OR take his smart Phone off him ?

OPINES ;)

You should just let him earn the right to use it, teach him that nothing is free.

You should just let him earn the right to use it, teach him that nothing is free.

I have tried that MrSmith, alas, to no avail :mad: Earlier this year I received a letter from school telling me that he had been caught in lessons Tweeting on his phone. I took the phone off him until he came home from school but he borrowed his mates phone that sits at the side of him :huh: The school where he goes has told him that if they finish the lessons work then they can use their mobiles ??? WTF ? This is only an inticement to rush through the work regardless of quality just so they can sit tapping on their smart phones. When i raised my concerns to the school I was told that it is actually an incentive to get the work done and stopping them from using them only leads to them rebelling :huh: When I was a kid I wasnt the model student by a long shot but I got my work done and payed attention in class and left school with half decent grades at O level. The way my laddo is going on, he will be lucky to get a job at Mc Donalds :( I am going to put a strict phone usage regime in to place as he is in his last year and needs to get his head down and cram as much in as possible, I know exactly what to expect when I tell him that he is limited to an hour of tweeting and playing mobile games when he gets home, Massive teenage strop and I am the worst parent in the world. I can see that he has a real problem with the usage of his phone and if it is not curtailed it is going to wreck any chances that he has of getting into college. Technology has a sodding lot to answer for or is it bad parenting on my part ???

I think it's great that the kids are able to stay in touch and see what's going on, but it's astonishing how many people don't use the internet for what it's for. I've recently been watching a lot of Brian Cox online, looking up some silly facts (they make me laugh) reading news, using it to define words I'm un-familiar with and if I ever need to do anything, chances are I'll find some good tutorials or tips online.

I was in Meadowhall not so long ago with a friend getting some food, and 2 teenage girls (must have been 13 ish) were sat next to each other, not speaking to each other and not even touching there food, but sat scrawling up and down Facebook/Twitter almost at random. I'm 21 and use both social sites, and Facebook is signed in 24/7... I think? everytime I bring the site up my profiles there anyway.

Instead of maybe having a go, going to the schools, just perhaps explaining how important the final year at school will be, and that there's no danger of Zuckerberg shutting up shop anytime soon? :D

On the news the other day was a piece which stated some survey or other had discovered that kids would much rather be surfing the net and playing computer games than out drinking (underage) or taking drugs. So maybe it's not such a bad thing that most of them are 'networking' via computer than out doing god knows what!

On the news the other day was a piece which stated some survey or other had discovered that kids would much rather be surfing the net and playing computer games than out drinking (underage) or taking drugs. So maybe it's not such a bad thing that most of them are 'networking' via computer than out doing god knows what!

It does say a lot when getting drunk or taking drugs are percieved as the only alternatives for youth. Was that the only alternative in the survey? If I was a youth I'd sure be voting the same way if that's all that was up for grabs.

It does say a lot when getting drunk or taking drugs are percieved as the only alternatives for youth. Was that the only alternative in the survey? If I was a youth I'd sure be voting the same way if that's all that was up for grabs.

Well you know what these 'surveys' are like and how they get reported. It's the sensationalist bits they home in on.

It isn't just the kids, you know. I teach a couple of classes of adults and am fast reaching the stage where I'm going to pass round at the beginning of the class the yellow plastic basket I usually use with the teenagers, for mobiles and headphones.

The number of times I have to stop the class because one of the mums takes a call from her child, or someone else is texting under the table or someone else tries to tell me they're consulting an on-line dictionary when I can see they're on Facebook is fast getting ridiculous. What sanctions can I impose on them, apart from taking their phones off them as I do with the teenagers?

It isn't just the kids, you know. I teach a couple of classes of adults and am fast reaching the stage where I'm going to pass round at the beginning of the class the yellow plastic basket I usually use with the teenagers, for mobiles and headphones.

The number of times I have to stop the class because one of the mums takes a call from her child, or someone else is texting under the table or someone else tries to tell me they're consulting an on-line dictionary when I can see they're on Facebook is fast getting ridiculous. What sanctions can I impose on them, apart from taking their phones off them as I do with the teenagers?

Switch off or leave the class.

Archived