Disconnected or connected kid's ?

It isn't just the kids, you know. I teach a couple of classes of adults and am fast reaching the stage where I'm going to pass round at the beginning of the class the yellow plastic basket I usually use with the teenagers, for mobiles and headphones.

The number of times I have to stop the class because one of the mums takes a call from her child, or someone else is texting under the table or someone else tries to tell me they're consulting an on-line dictionary when I can see they're on Facebook is fast getting ridiculous. What sanctions can I impose on them, apart from taking their phones off them as I do with the teenagers?

Just tell them to turn them off before the lesson starts. They are adults! If they can't do that, then they obviously don't want to actually 'learn' anything! So you need to question why they are actually there!

Most adults attend these classes because they actually 'do' want to learn something!

It isn't just the kids, you know. I teach a couple of classes of adults and am fast reaching the stage where I'm going to pass round at the beginning of the class the yellow plastic basket I usually use with the teenagers, for mobiles and headphones.

The number of times I have to stop the class because one of the mums takes a call from her child, or someone else is texting under the table or someone else tries to tell me they're consulting an on-line dictionary when I can see they're on Facebook is fast getting ridiculous. What sanctions can I impose on them, apart from taking their phones off them as I do with the teenagers?

Why sanction them, who is loosing out if they spend their time staring at facebook?

Taking calls is out of order, but let them do whatever they want otherwise, it's their time and money they are wasting.

Just tell them to turn them off before the lesson starts. They are adults! If they can't do that, then they obviously don't want to actually 'learn' anything! So you need to question why they are actually there!

Most adults attend these classes because they actually 'do' want to learn something!

Yes, they do want to learn, but don't understand that learning & using a mobile phone don't go hand in hand. Look at the work environment they hope to go into : mobiles on during meetings, in taxis, on buses, on courses. There isn't a time or a place where phones & headsets aren't in use.

People have their phones switched on when they're in conversation with others, doing their shopping and in the library.

Telling people to switch their phones & music off in the classroom is asking them to do something extraordinary, I'm afraid. The students themselves put together a list of acceptable classroom behaviour - Dos and Don'ts & top of the list they put : "No mobiles in the classroom" and then take calls. It's not natural today to switch your phone off, so I don't expect miracles - from adults or children.

Yes, they do want to learn, but don't understand that learning & using a mobile phone don't go hand in hand. Look at the work environment they hope to go into : mobiles on during meetings, in taxis, on buses, on courses. There isn't a time or a place where phones & headsets aren't in use.

People have their phones switched on when they're in conversation with others, doing their shopping and in the library.

Telling people to switch their phones & music off in the classroom is asking them to do something extraordinary, I'm afraid. The students themselves put together a list of acceptable classroom behaviour - Dos and Don'ts & top of the list they put : "No mobiles in the classroom" and then take calls. It's not natural today to switch your phone off, so I don't expect miracles - from adults or children.

A lead lined classroom is the only answer then! :hihi:;)

I have tried that MrSmith, alas, to no avail :mad: Earlier this year I received a letter from school telling me that he had been caught in lessons Tweeting on his phone. I took the phone off him until he came home from school but he borrowed his mates phone that sits at the side of him :huh: The school where he goes has told him that if they finish the lessons work then they can use their mobiles ??? WTF ? This is only an inticement to rush through the work regardless of quality just so they can sit tapping on their smart phones. When i raised my concerns to the school I was told that it is actually an incentive to get the work done and stopping them from using them only leads to them rebelling :huh: When I was a kid I wasnt the model student by a long shot but I got my work done and payed attention in class and left school with half decent grades at O level. The way my laddo is going on, he will be lucky to get a job at Mc Donalds :( I am going to put a strict phone usage regime in to place as he is in his last year and needs to get his head down and cram as much in as possible, I know exactly what to expect when I tell him that he is limited to an hour of tweeting and playing mobile games when he gets home, Massive teenage strop and I am the worst parent in the world. I can see that he has a real problem with the usage of his phone and if it is not curtailed it is going to wreck any chances that he has of getting into college. Technology has a sodding lot to answer for or is it bad parenting on my part ???

And just how or who funds the cost of him using his phone, one simple way to stop him would be to stop his pocket money if thats how he funds the use of it.

I expect people to switch off their mobiles when they come to the dojo.

They forget, but often only once as it's a bit embarrassing to have to go to your bag after the whole class has stopped in order to cancel the call.

We move on, we discover faster and 'better' way's to communicate with each other. We have Skype, Instant messenger, Video calling, Facebook, Twitter et al. But (ok ! Pedants) do our kids actually benefit through this mass media ? I am sick and tired of telling my git of a son to get off his bloody phone as his life seems pre occupied with pressing buttons or tapping a screen when he could be doing or learning something else. OH YES !!! I am tapping butons now and using over exclamation :help: but !!! I have hobbies that I get on with and daily tasks to do. Unlike my laddo that thinks that life apart from text or twitter is unbearable..... Should I beat him within an inch of his life OR take his smart Phone off him ?

OPINES ;)

Oh I had to laugh this reminds me of when I was a kid. Though "get of the phone!!!" had more power as we only had the landline and I was tying up the line". As for giving up communicating with others twitter is great it keeps people in touch like never before. So what he is not breaking and entering cars or drinking underage hes just chatting to friends. Doesnt seem much harm to me and its not even stopping you from doing stuff like it did in teh olden days.

Archived