Clamping now illegal

According to this, although clamping has been banned, there's also more power given to private land owners to enforce parking charges. So I'm not sure if it makes things better or worse really.

But the basic premise that it's illegal now to actually hold your car for ransome (using a clamp) is a step in the right direction.

According to this, although clamping has been banned, there's also more power given to private land owners to enforce parking charges. So I'm not sure if it makes things better or worse really.

But the basic premise that it's illegal now to actually hold your car for ransome (using a clamp) is a step in the right direction.

Yes the new legislation means that a private car parking company can now pursue either the driver or the vehicle owner with the same NON ENFORCABLE parking charge.

Yes the new legislation means that a private car parking company can now pursue either the driver or the vehicle owner with the same NON ENFORCABLE parking charge.

I'm not sure if it's a misquote by the BBC, but the link I posted seems to imply that they can chase both the driver AND the keeper? :huh:

But landowners are boosted by stronger laws on ticketing, which mean unpaid charges can be claimed from the keeper of the vehicle, as well as the driver.

But landowners are boosted by stronger laws on ticketing, which mean unpaid charges can be claimed from the keeper of the vehicle, as well as the driver.

That would suggest to me the change may mean the tickets/invoices could become more enforceable than before. I guess we'll have to wait for a test case against new laws. I'm sure it wont be long.

Archived