1/2p . . . . . . .

I can't see us ever being in the Euro!....Basically I think the 'majority' of people wouldn't want to relinquish the good old pound sterling!...I think there would be uproar if someone proposed switching!

It's not the loss of Sterling that would bother me, though it is sentimentally quite nice to keep it, but the sudden increase in cost of everything well beyond inflation.

As prices are calculated £ -> Euro they will all be rounded up and in some cases the whole thing will be used as a way in bring in price increases companies may have been nervous about before.

Along the lines of "good day to bury bad news". ;)

It's not the loss of Sterling that would bother me, though it is sentimentally quite nice to keep it, but the sudden increase in cost of everything well beyond inflation.

As prices are calculated £ -> Euro they will all be rounded up and in some cases the whole thing will be used as a way in bring in price increases companies may have been nervous about before.

Along the lines of "good day to bury bad news". ;)

Well I don't think it will ever happen.

I remember when decimalisation was introduced, everyone bellyached that it was a stealth increase in prices (which it actually was...the same when they did away with the half-penny)...this wouldn't be any different, but I suspect it won't even get off the ground!

If you mean are they worth anything to collectors, no. Or rather - don't expect to make a fortune off it!

Actually, a half penny went for a few thousand a couple of years ago, i think it was a 1963 one and had a misprint or something on it.

Actually, a half penny went for a few thousand a couple of years ago, i think it was a 1963 one and had a misprint or something on it.

Yeah but that would have been the 'original' h'apenny!....I presume we're talking about the one after decimalisation!

If it's the half (new) penny piece I would say it's worth less than it was when they were in circulation. I regularly used to just throw mine away! I mean you had to have 200 of them to make up a quid!....They were completely useless!

I don't know, they came in pretty handy for buying half penny sweets.

jb

Archived