Muslim Rage-a different view?

But the system that extremists use can't be shown to come from the Quran unless they add embellishment, the system 'moderates' adhere to can.

I'm guessing this system is quite difficult to explain? :)

Again I agree, but I don't have to reconconcile it as my belief, the excuse given is that it was time specific, the Quran doesn't say otherwise

Everything in the Quran about keeping slaves, how to treat slaves, and how to punish slaves - is 'time specific'? It's no longer relevant?

Do you agree with that line of thought?

I'm guessing this system is quite difficult to explain? :)[/Quote]

I wouldn't say it's difficult, but then again I come from a religious background that already deals with many of the subtleties, it's a bit like any religion, if you're happy to follow the rules it inspires freedom, if you're not it's constraining, that's the psychological angle, but there are bits that are easy understand, like the changing of written Arabic to give one specific meaning, these things aren't particularly 'difficult' to grasp, but the more time you're willing to spend on them the more you'll understand. If you really wanted to understand fully the only way to go would be to study Arabic to get the full meaning - personally I haven't gone that far, I suppose if I were a believer i would.

Everything in the Quran about keeping slaves, how to treat slaves, and how to punish slaves - is 'time specific'? It's no longer relevant?

Do you agree with that line of thought?

I don't know, that's the easiest answer, I'm not a Muslim so don't have to try to balance the books as it were, I think that's for Muslims to decide for themselves. Keeping slaves isn't something I agree with, but that's not one of things I'm defending Islam for, neither, which has already been mentioned, is the question of Mohammad marrying a child. My only concern is people taking the Quran out of context, that means applying to it things that it doesn't say - that has no bearing on whether I agree or not with what it does say, I'm just trying to stick, as much as I am able, to the facts and the correct context.

And richard

You can't just believe bits of qur'aan and say you don't believe others

You either believe it all or not at all

I have seen the good things it has brought to people practising in accordance with it, and I don't like people attributing things to it that it doesn't say, that's all, I don't have any 'belief' attributed to it, I'm not a Muslim.

I have seen the good things it has brought to people practising in accordance with it, and I don't like people attributing things to it that it doesn't say, that's all, I don't have any 'belief' attributed to it, I'm not a Muslim.

Yes their is plenty of peaceful muslims, they just disagree with you in a civil manner

They just don't understand the dark side of it

Yes their is plenty of peaceful muslims, they just disagree with you in a civil manner

They just don't understand the dark side of it

What do you mean by dark side?

That's an interesting statement, let's go into it.

Do you mean they don't fully understand the text or are you just speaking from a moral viewpoint?

IT'S CONTROL Richard, this is what they did back then so people would behave, just like when parents tell their kids father Christmas is coming, it's just the same though santa is harmless control

I don't buy the argument that religion was formed to control people.

I think has it developed organisations have grown within religion that seek to exert there control, but I think religion itself came about to try to make sense of the world we live in.