New Comet arriving 2013 - brighter than the moon

I was living Devon when Hale Bopp visited and the view of it from Dartmoor was breathtaking.

This is really interesting. I genuinely don't remember it being all that impressive, but you and others clearly do.

Maybe I have false memory syndrome:)

This is really interesting. I genuinely don't remember it being all that impressive, but you and others clearly do.

If I remember right, I moved to Sheffield in March '97 when it was visiting, and I noticed that you could hardly see it in Sheffield, but I put that down to believing that it was moving away from us at that stage. Maybe the further south you were the better the view?

This image from Sheffield corresponds with my memory exactly. I recall staring at this very image of the comet for hours on end from my Velux window, even through Sheffield's light pollution.

If Ison is anything like my recollections of Hale-Bopp I'll be chuffed, but hoping for better still obviously.

I remember being pretty impressed looking at it from Tom Lane. Mildly disappointed it wasn't in colour, though.

I remember being pretty impressed looking at it from Tom Lane. Mildly disappointed it wasn't in colour, though.

That explains a lot. I was watching it from the outskirts of Worksop. Perhaps I should have chosen a more middle class venue to watch from:D

Never mind. This one will be visible during the day. Heralding the second coming and then the end of the world.

Those Mayans should have counted more carefully.

Archived