Anyone been to Tasmania? What's it like?

As the title says really. I have the opportunity to go with a friend who has family there. What's it like?

Apparently it is quite Australia,but without the usual camels and kangaroos,it having its own range of fauna.It is cooler than Oz n but warmer than NZ,and is reckoned to have the most attractive women of the Antipodes.

never been but it's the coldest part of Australia and climate is not all that disimilar to here. Everyone from Queensland that ever goes is amazed that anywhere can be as cold. You'd have to go deep into China to find the nearest place, on land as cold as Tasmania apart from south island of New Zealand. And China is thousands of miles away, nine or ten hours on a plane.

that Franklin river, is meant to be really something. It's meant to be one of the best whitewater rafting rivers, in the world.

there are no international flights into Hobart apart from Antarctica so you will almost certainly have to go to some other place in Australia first, and go through immigration.

what a laugh. Somebody somewhere has probably done that. Gone to Antarctica first and then turned up in Hobart, and gone through immigration.

whats it like ?not bad if you like wilderness areas but mainly boring if you don't.

its got a few world heritage areas ,I stayed up at cradle mountain lodge,went up the franklin river ,bush walking in wildeness areas ,quite spectacular worth seeing, drove down the east coast for a few weeks all about 15 years ago .

the people down there are pretty dull and boring .

If you've got a choice go to New zealand instead ,leaves tassie for dead, people are lot more friendlier

or just stop off in melbourne you'll have a lot better time, I was down there for an exhibition a couple of weeks ago ,stayed down in china town had a great time

tasmanias like a poor mans new zealand :D

I've never been here as a tourist, when we first came here in 1985 we were looking for somewhere to live, to escape the heat and rat race that was Sydney. Well, we found it, I would never live anywhere else in Australia. I know it's not everyone's cup 'o tea, if you hanker for the bright lights and the night life, give us a miss.

My brother-in-law arrives on Saturday from Nottingham (he's Sheffield born & bred), this is his 4th time here, this time he's staying for 5 months! I think he likes it here.

I've never been here as a tourist, when we first came here in 1985 we were looking for somewhere to live, to escape the heat and rat race that was Sydney. Well, we found it, I would never live anywhere else in Australia. I know it's not everyone's cup 'o tea, if you hanker for the bright lights and the night life, give us a miss.

My brother-in-law arrives on Saturday from Nottingham (he's Sheffield born & bred), this is his 4th time here, this time he's staying for 5 months! I think he likes it here.

Bright lights and night life are definitely not me! We would be coming for 6 weeks. Her brother lives at Devonport. I've got nothing to lose have I. Why miss this opportunity. Thanks for your post :D

Archived