April Jones 5 yr old goes missing

My first thought when I heard the 'probably responsible' bit, was did he just leave her somewhere, still alive?

I wonder if we'll ever find out what actually happened.

That's still murder. R v Thabo Meli and R v Smith from memory. Leaving someone for dead is murdering them.

I suspect a negligence killing personally or rather I suspect that will be his defence.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I think the law actually is that provided you had the relevant mental element in an attack on a person and then left them - that would potentially be sufficient for murder. We cannot know exactly what the circumstances are though and perhaps should wait for the case to be heard in full before speculating too hard

I think the law actually is that provided you had the relevant mental element in an attack on a person and then left them - that would potentially be sufficient for murder.

Indeed. That's the Thabo Meli case.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

My first thought when I heard the 'probably responsible' bit, was did he just leave her somewhere, still alive?

I wonder if we'll ever find out what actually happened.

Maybe he did something to dispose of the body that is so horrific, so disgraceful even to him, that he will not reveal the details.

I suspect that he will plead manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

I strongly doubt this as the judge has said that Bridger is likely to say that he was 'responsible' for April's death. No defence barrister on earth pleading for diminished responsibility would allow the term 'responsible' to be used in this circumstance.

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 20:36 ----------

I suspect a negligence killing personally or rather I suspect that will be his defence.

Yes, me too.

There was a report where mention of him being a lifeguard was thrown in a few times, so I wonder if he's going to say it's a swimming accident perhaps. Total speculation obviously, but it seemed odd, and it wasn't the Star, so not just bad journalism. I was wondering if it was accidentally swept away and drowned, so "feels responsible" but claims isn't legally responsible. Pleads not guilty to hiding body etc, as it wasn't his fault.

Who knows. That's probably entirely wrong, but I wondered why they mentioned it three or four times.

There was a report where mention of him being a lifeguard was thrown in a few times, so I wonder if he's going to say it's a swimming accident perhaps. Total speculation obviously, but it seemed odd, and it wasn't the Star, so not just bad journalism. I was wondering if it was accidentally swept away and drowned, so "feels responsible" but claims isn't legally responsible. Pleads not guilty to hiding body etc, as it wasn't his fault.

Who knows. That's probably entirely wrong, but I wondered why they mentioned it three or four times.

I thought the 'lifeguard' job was trotted out so many times to get the public to presume that he chose that job to get access to seeing children with little on.

Archived