Apart from wear and tear, could this be construed as perpetual motion?

I don't get all my info from wiki... :) but do you understand the principle? In your fist video the little disc may rotate forever (very doubtful) but what happens when you extract some of the energy from it? ie make it into something useful?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. I didn't make it or claim anything. I just thought the concept was fascinating if that rotational motion could be used to drive something, and I did qualify my thread title saying "apart from wear and tear"...and as it's been pointedly commented upon, I accept that no, it's not perpetual motion!

Or the real scientists. I can't be the only one on the forum.

The definition of a perpetual motion machine is that it gives out more energy than is put in, not just that it conserves energy.

So for a spinning disc to be a perpetual energy machine it is just not enough for it to keep going round. It needs to keep going round AND do something else, but at the moment just demonstrating the conservation of energy by going round for weeks or months would be a start, and that step has been achieved in a number of different ways.

The people who have achieved supremely efficient conservation of energy in movement thus far have done so with either supercooled kit or movement in a vacuum (or both) since the resistance of the molecules of air is enough to reduce the efficiency of even the most efficient movement. A disc rotating in air at room temperature is pretty much guaranteed to fail because of the inherent resistance of the bearings and of the air around it.

Aaaaaargh...I concede!...it's not perpetual motion!..:hihi::hihi:.'I' never said it was!!!!!

I still think it's fascinating nontheless!

That second machine looks like it could go on forever (excluding friction) (said in a whimsical way!)!!!

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. I didn't make it or claim anything. I just thought the concept was fascinating if that rotational motion could be used to drive something, and I did qualify my thread title saying "apart from wear and tear"...and as it's been pointedly commented upon, I accept that no, it's not perpetual motion!

I'm sorry,it was a rhetorical question..if you attach something to the spinning disc it will just slow down faster....according to what we know today you can't get more out of a system than you put in ( notice I didn't say impossible :) )

The trouble is, Pete, even if it was a perpetual motion machine, as soon as you tried to use it for something you would be attaching it to something else which would produce friction, inevitably causing it to slow down. That is looking at it in terms of forces.

From the energy point of view, if you start taking energy from it, it will have less energy and will, again, slow down.

I'm not at all sure how it works, but in the first video, he took two of the magnets out of operation and it went faster. So it 'looks' like it's controllable to some degree. Surely there's potential there?

Like I said, I'm no scientist. Just an engineer!

Aaaaaargh...I concede!...it's not perpetual motion!..:hihi::hihi:.'I' never said it was!!!!!

I still think it's fascinating nontheless!

That second machine looks like it could go on forever (excluding friction) (said in a whimsical way!)!!!

So could a spinning bike wheel if you discount friction. Or a roundabout, or anything that spins.

I'm sorry,it was a rhetorical question..if you attach something to the spinning disc it will just slow down faster....according to what we know today you can't get more out of a system than you put in ( notice I didn't say impossible :) )

Hahaha...you have to be so careful with everyday words on here! :wink:

I'm not at all sure how it works, but in the first video, he took two of the magnets out of operation and it went faster. So it 'looks' like it's controllable to some degree. Surely there's potential there?

Like I said, I'm no scientist. Just an engineer!

I hope you mean like an automotive engineer, or washing machine engineer, and not like a MEng IMechE CEng engineer, because that would be embarrassing after years of lectures about physics and the principles of energy conversation.

I hope you mean like an automotive engineer, or washing machine engineer, and not like a MEng IMechE CEng engineer, because that would be embarrassing after years of lectures about physics and the principles of energy conversation.

No...Domestic!.....:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived