Apart from wear and tear, could this be construed as perpetual motion?

So, ok the original link to the video we have established is definitely NOT perpetual motion. I was thinking earlier. Is the earths rotation perpetual? I don't see it stopping rotating anytime soon. How does it keep turning at a constant speed, or is it actually slowing down?

Hang on where's my tin hat....Ok..scientists...do your worst!

So, ok the original link to the video we have established is definitely NOT perpetual motion. I was thinking earlier. Is the earths rotation perpetual? I don't see it stopping rotating anytime soon. How does it keep turning at a constant speed, or is it actually slowing down?

No its slowing down.

Don't let it get you down Pete, have a look at

. It's not perpetual motion (obviously) but I've always found Stirling engines to have a modest charm. You can even make a simple one yourself at home which will run off a tea light candle.

I hope you mean like an automotive engineer, or washing machine engineer, and not like a MEng IMechE CEng engineer, because that would be embarrassing after years of lectures about physics and the principles of energy conversation.

I would hope you DON'T mean like an automotive engineer, I would hate to see cars designed by people who don't understand the basics of physics.

Why?

Why is it turning?

I think it’s to do with the interaction between the earth’s and the moons gravity.

Gravity caused the gas and dust that formed our solar system to collapse and as it did it started to spin,some of the material formed the earth which continued to spin.

Sorry I'm no scientist, but to me, if it's spinning (once started, and a good healthy meal consumed :hihi:) it's surely producing rotational energy, which presumably could be used for something!
My bold - no.

If it's spinning at a constant angular velocity, it is merely conserving momentum, subject to losses from bearing and air friction.

It would only be creating energy if accelerating.

Archived