What do YOU do at christmas?

This year will be my OH's first in his new job, which will mean that he's working over Christmas. Neither of us is Christian so we never really celebrate anything anyway, just see it as a time to get together with family and have a few nice meals.

My family is so small that if we have a big gathering we can all sit around one table in a restaurant, so we have to work quite hard to get enough people together for a big party, whereas my OH's family is huge and cooking a meal for all of them includes finding 30 matching plates for a start.

This year will be really quiet and involve the normal amount of working shifts, but hopefully less night shifts.

I bet Jehovas witnesses have a really fun time at Christmas. No drink, no celebrations, no presents, and going door knocking on Christmas day!...Bet that's a bundle of laughs! NOT!

they dont have fun nor no fun, it doesnt exist to them, they dont celebrate it

10 days in the Caribbean for me from 21st december. Warm weather, no relatives and alcohol on tap. Can't beat it !!!

Lucky you! We're off to Turkey on the 21st December for the week, it certainly won't be Caribbean weather but we get all-inclusive booze and ice-cream! :D

Normally Christmas is very low-key for us, we don't have kids so we tend to visit family just before Christmas then shut the door and eat ourselves into a food coma in front of the TV for a few days!

Love Christmas, Christmas Day we all go to MIL's all chip in & do dinner, then sit round chatting & catching up with family. Boxing Day we have at ours; with family coming to us, we always have ham & chips for dinner and buffet for tea (its called tradition), seeing the grandkids faces light up when they open presents magical.

How on earth anybody cannot like Christmas is beyond me, and to the person who said this thread was an insult to Muslims, go & boil your head.

Love Christmas, Christmas Day we all go to MIL's all chip in & do dinner, then sit round chatting & catching up with family. Boxing Day we have at ours; with family coming to us, we always have ham & chips for dinner and buffet for tea (its called tradition), seeing the grandkids faces light up when they open presents magical.

How on earth anybody cannot like Christmas is beyond me, and to the person who said this thread was an insult to Muslims, go & boil your head.

You have explained it yourself.If you are not a Christian and have no family to speak of ( not eveybody has children) then the whole thing is pointless.

When did ham and chips become a Christmas tradition?

On Boxing day presumably. It's always been a traditional thing 'for us'. In fact I enjoy boxing day munchies far more than the traditional Christmas dinner.

Oh so more a famiy tradition than a countrywide thing.

The thing with traditions is that they fall by the wayside only to be replaced with new ones. Church used to be part of the Christmas tradition, not so much now.

Tis' the season to be gluttonous :)

Archived