I am stuck in a dead end job :-( Please help need some help/advice!!

I've been stuck in a dead end job for a really long time and I've finally had enough and I want to start a fresh.

I left school with no qualifications, and the job I found was the only job I could do based on my circumstances/situation, but for the last year or so I have been in college trying to get some qualifications to improve my job prospects. I have obtained a level 2 adult numeracy and level 2 literacy certificate and I am now re-doing my Maths GCSE.

My question is guys where can I go from there if I do end up passing my GCSE's should I do my A-levels and think about going to Uni or should I try and find a another job?

Where and what can I apply for as I am so confused as to where to start and look?

Please help! I would appreciate any advice thanks. :help:

There are 2 reasons to go to university:

1. to get a professional qualification

2. you have a real passion for your subject

Be aware it is an expensive thing to do these days, after a 3 year course you're likely to have in excess of £30k additional debt, so make sure you will get a job from it (professional qualification) or you have a real love for your subject!

If you didn't have any qualifications from school because you're not academically minded then I'd suggest that uni (and possibly a-levels) may not be for you. Try looking for vocational courses that would help get into a career you'd like to get into.

If you know you want to go to uni, look at places that offer the course you'd like to do and see what you have to achieve to be given a place. Some course demand certain grades in certain subjects.

EDIT:

For more vocational courses, try local colleges such as http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/

Perhaps part time study so you can continue to work.

The first, and perhaps hardest question, you should be asking yourself is what career(s) can you envisage yourself doing AND enjoying. From there you can work out which qualifications/experience you will need. The last things you want to be doing are obtaining qualifications that turn out to be of no use in getting you where you want to be or even getting to where you want to be and then finding out you hate it.

An alternative may be to try and find work in a company doing what you are doing now but which has prospects, and supplies training, to advance your career.

jb

Archived